Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  18:12:54  Show Profile
Strange how people read things differently.
Beernard see's Phil as a BG resident who would only look after the BG estate. No doubt Phil may well live on BG but he doesn't actually say that.
The way I see it, Phil has already taken action to help try and improve our community. He's retired so will hopefully have more time than most of us to help improve Angmering.
Lets hope that the right person gets elected no matter where in Angmering they live.
Even better if there both worthy of the position, then they both get elected.
Good luck to both of them and lets hope whoever gets elected can stand up and represent the community's views.
Go to Top of Page

John
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  18:41:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by neil

It was unfortunate that the Consortium (of developers) who built the Bramley Green estate put up a sign at its entrance which implied BG was a separate entity - which it is not.

Neil is quite right in his comments.
However..... It's a matter of perception.
Perception is an amazing thing. It's nothing to do with the way things really are. It's only to do with the way people see things.
And to most folk who live in the heart of the village (for want of a better phrase) BG is PERCEIVED as a housing estate which is out on a limb.
I'm not saying that's right. I'm just saying that's how it is.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  19:23:51  Show Profile
I think it is a great shame that Beernard commenced the issue of whether BG is part of Angmering, so far as it relates to electing one member of a Parish Council.

To me, it is irrelevant where they live. The current members of APC live in almost all corners of Angmering. A previous member who resigned a few months ago, has a business in the village but lives in Littlehampton.

Beernard is entitled to his view and who he will vote for, and why, but he may care to remember that Central Government want all this building in the south east, ADC gave planning permission for BG and the developers built the properties.

To make anything personal about anybody who bought a property on BG, whether in relation to this election or otherwise, is in my opinion, most unfair and does nothing to promote harmony in Angmering.

Place of residence will not be one of the criteria upon which I will make my vote.

Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2009 :  10:14:27  Show Profile
Until very recently APC comprised mostly members living in the older part of Angmering & in spite of that I see little evidence of their bringing any benefit to the majority of the population of Angmering before BG was built, giving them the revenue which they subsequently used in their various projects.

The old adage "stick a donkey up for election in the right rosette & they will win" still seems apt.

People who vote with closed minds get the politicians they deserve.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2009 :  15:33:14  Show Profile
I wonder if a brief biography of our recently appointed Clerk to APC, Mr Rob. Martin, will be put onto the APC news page. I think it should. It's a very important role within the village.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  17:25:45  Show Profile
I note that the latest APC draft Policy & Finance Committee minutes state the following in relation to the 2010/11 Budget:
quote:
The proposed precept was agreed at £220,914 and would be presented to the full Council for their approval on 14th December, 2009.

This would appear to be a 9.18% increase on last year which equates to Band D property rate of approx £68.52 by my calculation.

I suppose it could be worse - and has been in the past - but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of how the money is to be spent now that all the major projects are out of the way.

I suppose quite a chunk of the additional amount will be spent on the Clerk's additional hours - now working for a full day. It is appreciated that it will be good for him to have some hours where he can work in peace without interruption from the public but, when the Clerk settles in, perhaps the public could obtain some direct benefit by extending the office opening times by an hour or two per day. Would that be unreasonable?

Go to Top of Page

clueless
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  18:37:56  Show Profile
Yesterday I received en election flier from Phil Leverick.
It was impressive that he seems keen to open up lines of communications between the PC and us public.

Can I please ask Mr. Leverick a few questions in the hope that he may answer.
(I have not decided who to vote for yet, and this is purely to assist me in making up my mind. Hopefully I will also receive a flier from the other candidate and can then ask him some questions).

As we only have 2 candidates for this election, I would presume that one of them called for the election. Can you confirm if this was yourself please?

If yes, can I please ask why?

It is impressive that you are looking to open up lines of communications between the PC and public, but would you not be governed by the same rules that the current councillors are?
How would you propose to do this?

If elected, where do you feel you would be of best use i.e. which committees do you see yourself joining?

Do you have a particluar project you would like to get started?

Do you agree with the recent decision that Councillors set their allowances at Nil for this year, or do you believe that they should draw the recommended amount?

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2009 :  19:20:29  Show Profile
clueless, I am sure you are well aware that both candidates election flier was put onto this forum, on page 2, and on the News page, by Neil.
So you do not have to wait to see if you have one delivered to your home in order to ask the other candidate similar questions, as you have indicated.

Go to Top of Page

clueless
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  10:19:26  Show Profile
You are quite right Bert.

I am off for the day to try to finish my Christmas shopping so will put some questions here later.

Thanks for that
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  12:22:10  Show Profile
I agree with Neil's comments in respect of the Parish Council's Policy and Finance Committee minutes. (APC website)

The position of Parish Clerk is now full-time and Senior Assistant Clerk, as a result of the recent review, has been increased from 20 to 25 hours per week, which I assume will be taken up. These will inevitably result in increased costs, which are fine, so long as there is a noticeable improvement in the general administration of the office, which many have criticised in the past, (including Councillors) particularly in relation to the I.T. and the PC website.

With regard to the overall budget for 2010/11, I do hope APC take into account that West Sussex County Council and Arun District Council are having to make substantial reductions in public spending. The Government Grant is extremely low and the increase for next year is the bare minimum. Labour Governments do not like giving the required amount to Conservative Councils, as explained on the front of this weeks local Advertiser free newspaper.

Another significant chunk of expenditure is the funding of the Community Centre for the first few years, which I personally disagree with.

Along with the minutes of that P and F meeting, there are two additional reports.

One, from the new Clerk which indicates he will sort out the method the accounts are administered and the whole report, I find, very encouraging.

Secondly, a report in respect of one or two Environmental Wardens being employed by APC for minor tasks around the village.

As a mere resident, my humble opinion is that this is a very good thing for APC to introduce, at relatively small cost. My only reservation, is that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to work two hours a day for four days. Much better for the individual(s) and to get jobs done, for four hours on two days.

Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  18:38:37  Show Profile
Hi Bert, thanks again for your comments.

The hours for the Environmental Warden are very flexible.
This is something competely new for us and there are several ways of looking at it.

Some people may prefer to just do a couple of hours a day for 4 days, as it would not tie them up for longer periods. Others of course may prefer 4 hours for 2 days.
The main objective is to keep the village free of litter and dog pooh.
If its done over 2 days a week, will it build up too much until the next working day some 5 days later?
So, would it be better to spread it over the 4 days so there is a much higher presence to hopefully keep on top of the problem?

Impossible to say for the moment until we have given it a try. But as the hours will be flexible, I see no reason why we cannot try either way and see what happens.
The main thing will be to find 2 people willing to give this a go and then we can take it from there.

I really hope this will work as well as we hope it will, and we will of course be welcoming any feedback on this along the way.
I am also hoping that people seeing the presence of these env. wardens will also be 'embarrassed' into clearing up more of their own litter and definitely their dog mess, so again, perhaps the more days they are seen about, the more chance that the problem will decline.

Perhaps I am living in cloud cuckoo land, I hope not.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

clueless
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2009 :  20:20:04  Show Profile
Further to my questions to Mr. Leverick, I would now like to ask the following questions of Mr.Dean.

As asked of Mr. Leverick - as only the two of you are standing I would presume that one of you called for the election. Can you confirm if this was you please?
If so, can you please tell us why?

I see that you served on Storrington PC. What did you find your best achievement whilst on that council.

How do you see better traffic control in the village carried out please?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  00:29:30  Show Profile
The problem with flexible working arrangements is that if the individuals employed are not particularly well motivated or conscientious then there is the danger of flexibility being taken to the extreme where they not only decide for themselves how often/how long they work & what they do but whether in fact they do anything at all. If we are talking about remunerated employment, not voluntary work, then clear guidelines & expected results must be specified at the outset.
The full time employees used by the APC contractors to clear litter, etc. have already demonstrated this in the poor standard of work carried out to date.

By the way Patty the subject of litter picking by volunteers was raised in the APC meeting of 10/8/09 & the Chairman said that APC would research & report back but I haven't seen or heard anything.Can you confirm whether anything was actually done.
Go to Top of Page

Phill

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  18:17:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by clueless

Yesterday I received en election flier from Phil Leverick.
It was impressive that he seems keen to open up lines of communications between the PC and us public.

Can I please ask Mr. Leverick a few questions in the hope that he may answer.
(I have not decided who to vote for yet, and this is purely to assist me in making up my mind. Hopefully I will also receive a flier from the other candidate and can then ask him some questions).

As we only have 2 candidates for this election, I would presume that one of them called for the election. Can you confirm if this was yourself please?

If yes, can I please ask why?

It is impressive that you are looking to open up lines of communications between the PC and public, but would you not be governed by the same rules that the current councillors are?
How would you propose to do this?

If elected, where do you feel you would be of best use i.e. which committees do you see yourself joining?

Do you have a particluar project you would like to get started?

Do you agree with the recent decision that Councillors set their allowances at Nil for this year, or do you believe that they should draw the recommended amount?

Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

Hello “clueless”. Many thanks for your questions which I am happy to answer.

(1) When a councillor vacancy is declared, the law stipulates that an election by public vote can only be called if at least ten eligible electors make such request. In the absence of that, the election decision is by co-option i.e. solely by the votes of the existing councillors (currently 12 in number) whose views may not be representative of the majority of the community of some 5,000 electors as a whole. In the case of the current vacancy substantially more than ten electors were of the view that the new councillor should be elected democratically by public vote. I agree with that view and believe that the consequent electoral process is far more healthy, meritable and democratic. You may also wish to consider that not a single one of the current 12 parish councillors has been elected in a democratically contested public vote – they have all either been elected by default due to insufficient candidates standing or by co-option on the decisions of a very small number of existing councillors.

(2) What councillors are permitted to communicate with the public that they are meant to serve is governed by statutory instrument, the Local Authorities (Model Code of Conduct) Order 2007. Under that instrument councillors are not permitted to disclose confidential information except, for example, where it is reasonable and in the public interest to do so. The Parish Council is fundamentally there to serve the public and I believe that all matters considered by the Parish Council are therefore matters of public interest. Thus there should be little or no barrier to communication and consultation between the Council and the community without good reason. Sadly that is not the current situation. There is a widespread public view in this community which I share, that the Parish Council has hitherto been overly secretive and has failed adequately to communicate, consult with, listen to and represent the community on important issues of concern. I believe that such a relationship between the council and the community is unhealthy and, if elected, I will actively seek to encourage my fellow councillors to adopt a more communicative, consultative and "working together" approach.

(3) I am happy to serve on any of the Council’s committees and would hope that the Council make the best use of the time, energy, skills and experience that I have to offer.

(4) I do not have a particular project in mind, but would like to see a consultative survey set up to seek the views of all in the community on a regular basis as to which projects they feel the parish council should give priority.

(5) The recent decision to set councillors’ allowance at Nil was taken by a vote of the existing councillors attending the monthly council meeting last September. I attended as a member of the public and recall councillors voting 6-1 in favour of the Nil decision. Since that time 5 new councillors have been co-opted and following this election the council will be 13 in number - it would hence be appropriate for a new council vote to be taken on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

clueless
Average Member

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  21:32:45  Show Profile
Thank you Phill.

1. You say that substantially more than 10 electors were wishing for the election and that you were in agreement with this. As you seem to know these details are we to understand that you also know the people that called for the election?
Whilst I agree that we have a right to a democratic vote, do you not consider it a bit of an unecessary expense for just one vacancy?
I understand that at the last co-option for new councillors, there were 5 vacancies and 6 applicants, so one did not get in. That one person being yourself.
Surely, if you were happy to go for co-option the last time, why not try again rather than put the parishioners through this expense?
Its not as though you were refused at the co-option. Surely if you had already been through all the protocol, there was every chance you would have been co-opted in this time.

I understand that none of the current councillors have been elected through an actual election, but around 7 of them were elected by default at the last main election because there were not enough people standing to have the election. This cannot be blamed on them as they at least put themselves forward and were willing to be elected or not. In fact, when you consider the past times of being well under manned, perhaps the current councillors are to be praised for getting it almost to a 'full house' - something which has not been achieved for years.

2. Whilst I appreciate what you are saying on this, can I ask if this is based on communication between the pC and this web site?
As I have stated before, I have in the past been considering standing for the pC and I have been into the office with many questions and queries. All has been answered to my satisfaction and i have never found them to be apparently trying to hide anything.
They are not obliged to discuss matters on this web site, but having said that there are a couple of Councillors that have certainly tried.
They seem to be often shot down no matter what they say and perhaps that could be the reason why the rest do not wish to get involved.
Patty always seems to try to give what appear to be honest and open answers to questions that she knows about or is dealing with and i seem to recall that when the problem of dog mess was being discussed, she honestly said she did not know of an immediate solution. The reply from someone hiding behind a 'name' was that they threatened to post her some through the letter box.
With that sort of response I would not blame any of the Council refusing to try to answer questions.
I have also been to several monthly council meetings and again, they have always answered the questions, even when their answer meant me asking a further question.

4. If you are going to survey the public on a regular basis, is this not going to cost a considerable amount of money?

5. I take it that you are in favour of Councillors receiving their allocated allowance from what you are saying.
When they took this vote, looking ahead to having a full house of 13, at around £600 each they planed on saving the ratepayer some £7-8000 per year. I thought this was commendable, but I do not remember anyone saying thank you to them for that decision. (OK yes I am to blame as well). Quick to jump at them for spending money, but silent for praise.
So, if you are in agreement of receiving the allowance, can you please explain to us why you think this is the correct way?

thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  10:19:23  Show Profile
I do not know either candidate, but I feel this degree of questioning, on this website, is completely unreasonable. It will put any future applicant off for life and that is not good for the village. We are talking about the Parish Council, not a Member of Parliament.

I cannot help feeling there is an agenda here, and it appears to me that Phil. applied through the correct channels and it was the second applicant who forced the election.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  12:30:59  Show Profile
I agree Bert,especially since the incumbent APC members & several former ones never made themselves or their policies known to the electorate either before or during their term of office & have continued in their irresponsible spending spree without attempting to jusify their waste of council taxpayers money.
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  19:56:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bert

// and it appears to me that Phil. applied through the correct channels and it was the second applicant who forced the election.

The election was forced by those electors that called for an election rather than allowing it to go to co-option, with the consequent cost of booking Polling Stations and sending out ballot papers. As a result, even if there was only one candidate, there would have been an uncontested election. This is, of course, exactly the same process the current elected members obtained their seats at the last election.

Is there a suggestion that previous and current members of APC and the other candidate did not apply through the correct channels? I'm sure you didn't mean that, but to have mentioned it carries an implication.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  21:41:50  Show Profile
Perhaps what should be remembered about the co-option process is that the people who ultimately decide on the applicant(s) for the post may not in fact be elected representatives but themselves appointed by this elitist selection process which is far from transparent & may reflect favouritism or personal interest rather than any impartial, sensible decision on the best person for the post.Whilst elections may have inherent flaws, at least the end result can be claimed as the decision of the electorate (or at least those that bother to vote).
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  22:52:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

Perhaps what should be remembered about the co-option process is that the people who ultimately decide on the applicant(s) for the post may not in fact be elected representatives but themselves appointed by this elitist selection process which is far from transparent & may reflect favouritism or personal interest rather than any impartial, sensible decision on the best person for the post.Whilst elections may have inherent flaws, at least the end result can be claimed as the decision of the electorate (or at least those that bother to vote).

And do you have any evidence that the result of an election is made by impartial, sensible decisions? Isn't there a quote earlier in this thread that a donkey could be elected if their name was on the ballot paper?

Like it or not - them's the rules. You can no more force people to stand than you can force them to vote. If the people on here that moan about the co-option process had put their names forward at the last election, it may not have been necessary to use the co-option process.

Can you explain why you feel it is "far from transparent" when it is done at a public meeting? You suggest that it could "reflect favouritism or personal interest"; indeed it could, but that would leave those involved open to investigation by the Standards Committee, so could be a risky thing to do. I'm sure if anyone felt themselves disadvantaged they could instigate a complaint.

I wonder if there would be the same complaints about co-option if Phil Leverick had been elected by that method. I heard that it was necessary to get 4 votes and he got 3, so he was nearly successful in the "elitist selection process". Perphaps he got votes from co-opted members.

Out of interest, can you give a previous occasion someone failed to be co-opted because there were more applicants than posts as I haven't heard of one? Quite encouraging really that more people want to be on APC. Hope they all feel the same at the next election proper.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  13:49:54  Show Profile
Aramis
I don't think transparency is a word readily associated with APC.
Take for instance the vague reference at 09/89 of APC minutes dated 9/11/09. In the absence of members of the public at that meeting a more detailed explanation might have better informed the public of both issues under discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  22:58:55  Show Profile
BRAM,

Something that you, Patty and I agree on that the Minutes could be more informative.

In the Draft Minutes published on the website it states that the decisions were "noted" not discussed. Perhaps that is why no details of a discussion were reported.

Considering the last sentence of the Minute it may be to Mr Leverick's benefit that the full details are not published at this time.

Of course, you can always attend the next Parish Council Meeting and avail yourself of Public Questions to ask for more details, or if you can't wait until then, you could go to the Parish Office, or probably even ask Arun DC for full details as they are responsible for the Standards Committee. However, I suspect you already know the details.

As the Parish Office has not been besieged by reporters nor villagers with flaming torches and pitchforks demanding the councillors be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a pole, the public in general probably don't give a fig and have realised the reason for the complaints stems not from the alleged actions of the councillors but the complainant's failure to be co-opted onto the council.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  11:53:35  Show Profile
Aramis

I presume that you are referring to the comment "Councillor wanted it minuted that the police have never given him a verbal warning as stated in the complaint."
He was obviously very lucky not to have been dealt with by our ever vigilant police as most motorists would have been. The comment implies an element of bragging about "getting away with it" & certainly doesn't paint the picture of an upright councillor.

I note that you don't express an opinion on the other issue referred to the local Standards Committee but attack one of the parish council candidates, no doubt in an attempt to distract from the real fact that the current APC are unfit for purpose.

Edited by - BRAM on 10 Dec 2009 12:06:15
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  15:41:17  Show Profile
I have been quite critical of some aspects / decisions, made by APC during the last 2/3 years. I would not however agree with BRAM, on this occasion, "..that the current APC are unfit for purpose."

There have been a lot of changes in the makeup of APC. There are a number of quite recently co-opted members, and another will be elected today (10/12), none of whom I know, which will bring the numbers up to a full compliment. We also have a recently appointed new Clerk to the Council.

I imagine these forums put quite a lot of pressure on APC, that other Parish Councils do not have, because they do not have an excellent website such as this, which provides the opportunity for scrutiny that we would not otherwise have. This is good for local democracy and decision making, but may well make life more difficult for our Parish Councillors.

My personal view is that the current PC and the new Clerk are entitled to some space and time, without the suggestion (from BRAM, although he/she is perfectly entitled to an opinion,) that they are "unfit for purpose."
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  16:14:45  Show Profile
Aramis

If there is such unanimity within APC over providing more informative notes of meeting why are the minutes accepted in such poor state each month. Surely councillors should be demanding a better standard from our, now highly paid, parish clerk.
The fact that so many of the points are merely "noted" rather than discussed openly is a further example of lack of transparency.
You say that "..the public in general probably don't give a fig..." & that may be true,about the current APC at least, although I believe that there are many villagers who are concerned to ensure that Angmering is not treated as some sort of personal project by inept parish councillors. Furthermore I have always believed that without the respect of the public they serve councillors are not worth a jot & some members of APC should perhaps consider that if they insist on dragging out their term of office.
What are APC so afraid of with new candidates? After all they may do a better job but how will we know if they are not allowed to try?
Go to Top of Page

Aramis
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2009 :  22:43:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BRAM

Aramis

// What are APC so afraid of with new candidates? //

BRAM,

What on earth do you have to support this latest claim? I previously asked if any applicants had been refused. So far no answer, but nothing unusual in that.

I didn't attack anyone. I made reference to the complainant named in the Minute. It was your choice of timing and Minute to bring to the forum, so having opened the can, you can hardly complain of any worms that come out.

I'm sorry, but I really don't know what is going on in BRAMworld. You seem to see things that others don't, you give opinions and claim them as facts and continue to rearrange words to suit yourself.

Following our exchanges at the beginning of November, I thought I would give it another try, but nothing has changed. I enter this and other forums to share opinions and discussion but it just doesn't work with you. It may be as Greenfields said "Strange how people read things differently" but it is too strange for me. I'll leave you to your musings in BRAMworld.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  06:46:36  Show Profile
It's Christmas guys! Move on.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  09:10:18  Show Profile
937 votes at an election for just one place on the Parish Council, without any other election at any other Local Government level on the same day, which is the usual case.

I am sure in percentage terms this is quite low, but in the circumstances, is higher than I anticipated.

This does indicate that a significant proportion of residents are interested in what goes on at PC level and how our village is administered.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  10:03:32  Show Profile
The 937 votes represented a 16.5% turnout. This was based upon 5692 eligible voters.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  12:31:19  Show Profile
Aramis

You still only focus on one of the worms that came out of the can.Let us not forget that there were 2 complaints to the Local Standards Committee but you don't seem to wish to mention the other. Now that's what I call selective.
Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2009 :  12:34:34  Show Profile
RE: APC election:
Well done to the successful candidate & commiserations to the runer up. Let's hope that he re-runs at the next co-option/election together with further new candidates.
Go to Top of Page

beernard
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  17:52:56  Show Profile
I have been away from the forum for a while so did not get chance to comment further back, but my comment about bramley greeners not wanting to be part of angmering comes from listening to people from bramley green, also, before people jump down my throat, i know it is not everyone who feels like that but the thought, for a few is still there. Its a shame that Paul Dean did not get into office as he seems like a decent chap and he was looking to help the vilage as a whole not just BG . .............................................. Lets hope Mr Dean Stands again.

(Edited by Moderator to delete derogatory personal remarks about a former parish councillor)

BB
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2009 :  19:34:20  Show Profile
Beernard, I thought we had moved on from that, but your posting deserves a response.

Firstly, re. your insistence to create a divide with BG. You indicate there are still "...a few," who do not want to be part of Angmering.

Out of well over a thousand people, if it is only "a few," is it the problem you appear to want to make it?

Secondly, I would not have mentioned it before the election, but as I do not know either candidate, I had to depend on the election leaflets as placed on this forum.

Mr Leverick demonstrated what he had done in respect of the problems on BG recently and makes it clear that he wants to help the whole village, not just BG, as you indicate.

Thirdly, I have to say I did not find Mr Dean's leaflet very convincing. He asked the question, "Why am I asking for your support?" and then answered it by telling us how nice a village we live in. What relevance is that. He then asked the question again and gave a very similar answer.

I am sure Mr Dean is "a decent chap," I also hope he is co-opted or elected in future because he wants to help the village, but your continued anti BG and anti BG residents just for the sake of it, is quite absurd.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  17:29:21  Show Profile
I appreciate things are a little slow and quiet at present, but the Parish Council had made an effort, until recently, to get the Minutes of their Full Council Meetings onto their website reasonably quickly and then Neil has put them on his news page.

The last Full Council was 14th December, and there is still no sign of the Minutes ( as of 6th January.) I appreciate the staff probably had a few days off between Xmas and New Year, but is there a problem?
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  18:47:41  Show Profile
I have been told that the Parish Council have had a problem with Arun District Council who host their website and have not been able to post changes/additions. The APC have only themselves to blame. Myself and others advised APC as long ago as 2001 not to get tied in with ADC but to run their own website. They stubbornly refuse to listen.

Notwithstanding that, the APC started posting updates again today (although they may have been submitted via ADC yesterday) but where are the PC minutes of the 14 December? Funnily enough, I sent the same enquiry to a parish councillor about half an hour before you posted your message and have just heard back that they still have problems with ADC and with staff sickness.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  18:49:16  Show Profile
Hi Bert

Yes, sorry to say there is a problem which stems from the Main Arun council website, to which the PC's is linked.

The office worked like fury in the run up to Christmas, getting all the minutes done and agendas for the new year, must have broken all the records. Then, when they came to put them on the website, no go.
So frustrating, the office were really disappointed as well.

One day they will win!!

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  19:14:33  Show Profile
Neil you are 100% correct in what you say about advising the PC to set up there own website, and you are 100% correct in your reasons why.

However, please, you know that when you first suggested this back in 2001 and at later dates, there was no-one in that office that could have coped with doing it.
It would have ended up a much bigger mess than we ever have today.

No-one in the office was computer literate enough to take this on, even with all the help you were prepared to give them. Thinking back to who the members were in those days, I doubt that any of them could have helped either.

You only need to look at how in-frequently the website was updated to see the problems, lack of understanding and scared to try.

We now have a really dedicated team working in the office and although they may have inherited problems from the past, they are certainly pulling all the stops out to move into the 21st century and keep on top of the web site.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  20:17:08  Show Profile
The PC went as far as getting quotes from an outside web designer then abandoned the idea. Later, a junior councillor was going to do it. But you are probably correct, Patty; the office staff at that time might not have had even the IT expertise to do just updates.

Not sure why some things were uploaded yesterday but the most important item - the PC minutes - wasn't.
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2010 :  20:43:46  Show Profile
It may be worth mentioning also, that the full PC meetings are no longer held on the second Monday of each month.
Due to changes made by our locum clerk, they are now on more of a 6 week cycle and the next meeting is not until 25th Jan.

Thought it worth a mention, and yes, they also tried to update the web page for this before Christmas as well.

Go to Top of Page

BRAM
Advanced Member

373 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2010 :  11:26:48  Show Profile
So we have an admission by a member of APC that their website is unsatisfactory & that expert advice given by Neil some years ago should have been followed but what are APC going to do about it?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000