Traffic Calming In Bramley Green
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  15:56:46  Show Profile
Does anyone know how this was funded and why the more effective measures Bramley Green residents will benefit from cannot be extended to Roundstone Lane, where the "mole hills" are totally useless and cost ineffective - bearing in mind of course that one of the causes of the increased trafic is due to the Bramley Green development.

Thanks

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  16:09:21  Show Profile
Funded by the Bramley Green consortium that developed the housing - all part of the long running arguments on how the 20mph speed limit can be controlled without involving policing, before WSCC formally adopt the Bramley Green roads
Go to Top of Page

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  16:41:30  Show Profile
Thanks Lucky, appreciate the prompt response. It's just extremely frustrating that the traffic calming measures installed in Roundstone Lane are totally useless and do not slow traffic down in any shape or form and that this position would be improved if similar measures were adopted as to those on Bramley Green. There must be a reason why Roundstone Lane traffic calming is as it is. The bizzare thing is that the potholes that appear in Roundstone Lane are far more effective in slowing the traffic than the speed humps and cost nothing to install!
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  17:12:44  Show Profile
I heard that the Roundstone Lane lumps were controlled by the emergency services, and their access requirements - not sure if this is true- but apparently they have specific requirements for speed humps - having said that, I don't know why Bramley Green can have the raised tables, without the emergency services objecting.
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  21:12:47  Show Profile
Best traffic calming on Bramley Green is all the parked cars. May be we should try that down Roundstone Lane. I just wish they'd remove the pinch points on Station Road and Water Lane. Why do they make these decisions.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  20:00:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GreenFields

Why do they make these decisions.

Because they are experts with qualifications. Sadly, sometimes little common sense and driving experience.

Expert - X is the unknown, and spurt is a drip under pressure.
Go to Top of Page

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  12:56:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GreenFields

Best traffic calming on Bramley Green is all the parked cars. May be we should try that down Roundstone Lane. I just wish they'd remove the pinch points on Station Road and Water Lane. Why do they make these decisions.

..and replace with what? - they are not ideal I agree but something needs to be done to "encourage" those individuals to use the by-pass and not Water Lane, Weavers Hill, High Street and Roundstone Lane as cut throughs to get to their final destination !
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  18:59:26  Show Profile
I don't see that the pinch points have reduce the traffic. They're just causing more issues when non residents race through the village.
I would suggest that each pinch point is replaced by a raised table.
Long Term to dual the A259 and have a bypass to the West of Angmering.

Any chance of that - zero.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  19:17:33  Show Profile
Why dual the A259? It will not ease traffic congestion, it will just make the round-about at the by-pass/A259 even more congested. Just look at the M25, which was the answer to all traffic issues around London - building more roads and expanding existing roads just creates more traffic. The answer is to stop building new roads - and make rat-runs, like High Street more unattractive to through traffic - raised tables, and other awkward obstacles, like parked cars work wonders to stop rat runs
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  19:59:00  Show Profile
And if you think getting out on to the A259 from Station Road or Roundstone Lane is difficult at the moment, it will be well nigh impossible once traffic on the A259 is not impeded by having to filter into a single lane, particularly at the Station Road junction. Dualling of the A259 really is a 'red herring' in the debate.
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  14:00:54  Show Profile
3rd line has 'and' between the Dual A259 and a new bypass. You either make the main roads easier to use else the drivers will always look for a short cut.
Yes it'll be more difficult to get on to the A259 but if we're looking at encouraging people not to come through the village all options should be considered.
Before Christmas I sew the queue to the A259 from Station Road was backed up to the Doctors, so a few traffic calming measures won't stop them coming through the village. The pinch points are rubbish and that hasn't prevent the stream of traffic. I'd say it's just getting worse.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  17:22:42  Show Profile
just wait until all the planning applications are waived through by Arun and then see what traffic congestion really means - you won't even bother trying to get onto the A259, let alone get to the doctors by car - if this is what people want, then that is what they will get if they do not object to all the proposed developments.
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  11:47:17  Show Profile
Agree Luckyduck. I've just been reviewing the application on-line. So many documents to look through. Having said that the detail doesn't really matter. If they get planning for 38 houses I expect them to then go back to the original plan and submit that again. Once the yes to houses on any part of these fields then the whole lot will go.
It's worrying that we had so many object to the first application but the numbers dropped for the 2nd and I expect it to be low for this one.

Then there will be Chandlers and Ikea.
Go to Top of Page

Nick2020

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  16:47:19  Show Profile
Bramley Green Traffic Orders - West Sussex County Council have republished traffic orders first issued in 2011. The order makes permanent the signs and speed tables which have been installed but also introduce significant lengths of prohibitions of waiting at all times (double yellow lines) on sections of both sides of Bramley Way, Nursery Road, Roundstone Lane and Rowan Way.

Does anyone have strong views on the introduction of double yellow lines in Bramley Green? The TRO’s will automatically be confirmed unless challenged.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  16:54:07  Show Profile
My understanding was that there was to be no parking on any roads in Bramley Green as the houses had garages and that way the developers could get away with tiny roads.
Go to Top of Page

GreenFields
Average Member

United Kingdom
65 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  17:15:33  Show Profile
Correct Angmering Paul. That was part of the sales patter when they were selling the houses.
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  10:21:30  Show Profile
Not all houses on Bramley Green have a garage.
Go to Top of Page

lizh
Average Member

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  10:41:02  Show Profile
bring it on. Maybe then we can find a way to get the cyclists to use the cycle path instead of the road and we might be getting somewhere!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  10:42:49  Show Profile
Compost, I believe all homes have at least an off-road parking space which I think is the point angmeringpaul was trying to make.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  12:03:35  Show Profile
Double yellow lines. Creeping urbanisation. Next, Parking Wardens to enforce.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  12:56:29  Show Profile
Well with all the proposed building we will no longer be a rural village, but an urban sprawl. Yellow lines are vital to all urban sprawls, and are the final nail in the coffin for the rural village we thought we lived in.
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  14:35:53  Show Profile
If they stop the parking between (or sometimes almost on!) the pinch points - especially the 2 on Nursery road where you are supposed to be able to have 2 cars passing in between, but can’t because of the parked cars...... And if they stop the unbelievably inconsiderate parking all round the bend by the community centre on a Monday night when there are a number of exercise classes one after the other (yet people can’t be bothered to walk :0/ ) and you have to drive round the corner blind and on the wrong side of the road .... And if it means that ambulances and fire engines can actually get to every house then bring them on!! - Although i do agree Luckyduck, not the most attractive things in the world.
Go to Top of Page

ibel

11 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2013 :  18:37:35  Show Profile
Totally agree with you newbird, same problems in Bramley Way, so inconsiderate, almost parking on pinch points and actually on the bends every day, worse at weekends!
Go to Top of Page

compost
Advanced Member

265 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  13:28:05  Show Profile
Hi, sorry missed the obvious there. However, an issue that leads to these parking problems is that a number of houses have children that grow up to be teenagers and get their first car, now on Bramley Green (as an example) a garage or designated parking place is for one car. I use a van for my work, both my boys drive and need to as they work a distance from home, and my wife drives. A few of our neighbours are in the same position I am unsure how we can resolve the issue unless adequate parking areas are built in to further plans.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  15:51:35  Show Profile
The new Neighbourhood Plan, being developed for the village, covers exactly these points Compost. We are acutely aware, that Bramley Green was poorly planned - double garage lengths with a single drive are actually only ever used as one garage, most of the off road parking areas are 'too far' for people to walk to their front doors - people are amazingly lazy, so the new plans are very much more demanding on the developers to allow better amd more parking spaces off road, including visitors. Let's just hope that when the plan goes to referendum, hopefully later this year, that people vote in favour of it.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  19:53:19  Show Profile
I really hope that the new plan stops counting single garages as parking spaces as in my experience very few people use their garage to park their car. This is mainly due to the fact that single garages are too small for the family sized car and the space is usually filled up with junk!
Go to Top of Page

BARCODE

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2013 :  14:49:45  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by GreenFields

Best traffic calming on Bramley Green is all the parked cars. May be we should try that down Roundstone Lane.

Residents living on a rat-run in Brighton did just that some years ago. They parked their cars on alternate sides of the road, thus causing endless frustration and delays for the rat-runners. Then one morning the residents woke to find every car had been vandalsied. The morale: don't try to police others. If you cannot change a situation change your attitude to that situation.
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2013 :  14:00:35  Show Profile
That’s fair enough Barcode, but some of the parking is actually dangerous and as for emergency service access - i sometimes struggle to squeeze my fiesta through the inconsiderately parked cars.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000