Water Bills
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  11:12:15  Show Profile
The first indication of revised tariffs following the installation of water meters has now dropped on the mat. Household usage compared with the average 88%. Price hike 32%.

Despite assurances we always suspected meters would increase cost but by 32%. Yet further evidence of utility company profiteering?

Any similar experiences elsewhere?

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  11:43:11  Show Profile
We had meter in 2003 and can honestly say that our Water Bills have reduce dramatically from £650 pa to more like £350 pa so decision to have meter installed free was vindicated.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  11:44:17  Show Profile
When we had our water meter installed several years ago, we had a substantial decrease in our water bills.

However, much depends on household usage. Often, with just 2 people, there has been a noticeable drop in the bill, but if regular baths are used instead of a quick shower, and dishwashers and washing machines are used, then bills can shoot up with a water meter. One also has to remember not to leave the taps running when cleaning teeth, etc.

A number of years' ago, my mother-in-law was getting some horrendous bills and she was living by herself in a flat. After I had investigated, I found out that there was a mix-up when the meter was installed, and she was getting billed for the usage of a parent and 3 boys who lived in the flat above!

Also make sure there is not a leak on the house side of the meter or at the meter itself.

Our water bill is due, and I'm use the unit price will shoot up anyway.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  12:25:34  Show Profile
Interesting how your experience differs.

Could understand if usage was excessive but we are using 12% less than the average so it does not suggest water profligacy or leaks.

Watch this space I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  14:54:44  Show Profile
We have had a water meter at our current property and our previous one. We pay for what we use...a simple system, which I fully support.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2012 :  15:14:46  Show Profile
Not arguing with the logic. My point was that consumption is less than the average but that costs have risen 32%. That must raise questions.

Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  13:03:08  Show Profile
Like many we were forced into having a water meter. Like Derek I feel the water companies have us now at their mercy.
We use no water on our garden (other than collected rain water) we do our laundry at a launderette for speed and cost. Other than toilet flushing and personal washing we use very little water at all.

Our bills are even higher than before the meter and they were bad before!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  13:35:58  Show Profile
Does anyone know why after the blitz on installing water meters in Angmering (supposedly compulsory) many houses still have not had them installed? There are numerous houses on The Dell, for example, where water meters have still not been fitted.
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  20:21:47  Show Profile
those of us who have had meters since our houses were built should not have to subsidise those who didn't have them. if your bill has gone up, i would like to believe it's because you are now paying the going rate for your water based on your actual consumption, like the rest of us
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  21:33:40  Show Profile
That's one. All this time we have been subsidising those who already had meters. Surprised you weren't up in arms about the unfairness of it all earlier if that's the way you feel.

The reality is that no-one has any idea whether the rate they are paying is more or less what it should be. We just constantly get told to just accept it because someone, somewhere, decides that is the price so stop complaining.

If you look on the Southern Water website it states that as a result of installing meters about 50% of households will pay less and 50% will pay more. What I find difficult to comprehend, therefore, is how a household like ours, which Southern Water acknowledges is using less water than the average, falls into the price hike 50%. Go figure!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  22:43:01  Show Profile
If anyone's got a few ton of hardcore and top soil they don't need I'll do a swap for a few hundred posh goldfish, two very large Golden Orfe (named Sod and Naff)- a huge waterlily (pink), a 40000 gallon per hour pump, UV filtration system, air blowing system .......................... and a leaking pond liner!

Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2012 :  17:27:23  Show Profile
Picking up on previous postings re Water Rates. Have now received notification of estimated costs for 2013. Despite usage being less than average and payments made by Direct Debit, supposedly the cheapest method, Direct Debit has been increased by just under 50%. It's all smoke and mirrors, as with other utilities. Inflation at 2.6%? The figures are meaningless.
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2013 :  12:52:50  Show Profile
You can do a simple check to see if your meter is providing expected readings. Rule of thumb is that households will use 1 cubic metre of water per person per week. Take weekly meter readings and see if it matches expectations. If not, then you can conduct your own investigation for leaks (turn off all taps and see if the meter is still turning) or excessive consumption.

Meters are usually installed with an initial reading of zero, so calculate the number of weeks and you can average the consumption over that period to see if it is realistic. Meters can go wrong although they usually under-read rather than over-read after a period of about 7 years.

Also, you should be aware of the bill being split between water and wastewater, with (I believe) 92.5% of water being returned as wastewater. Also, you may recall that those Water Companies that deal with wastewater have also had to take over sewers and drains that were previously classed as private - such as on the Dell estate. Maintenance of all those extra miles of drains has to be paid for, and that can only fall on the users.

Prices are closely monitored and approved by Ofwat, so it is not just a case of Southern Water (or any other water utility) hiking the prices as they wish.

My experiences are similar to Neil's. My mother in South West saved considerably when a meter was fitted, and even though we had 5 people living in our house here I believe it was cheaper than on the Rateable Value principle. Over the Christmas week where there were 5 of us for most of the week and the dishwasher was put to good use, and one person having baths (!!) we only used 3.6 cubic metres of water.

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000