Road Names


Many of the names of roads on the new Bramley Green Development commemorate Angmering people from the past who have been benefactors of the village or who gave their lives for their country during World War 1 and World War 2 (see War Memorial). Below are explanations for the names of some of the roads, not only on Bramley Green but elsewhere in the village. Obvious names (Rectory Lane, Arundel Road, Station Road, etc) have been omitted.

A number of the name explanations come from Nicholas Gould's excellent booklet "Angmering Place Names", a copy of which may be found in Angmering Library.

Click here for Angmering street map.


  Ashmore Avenue Commemorates L/Cpl Alfred Lewis Ashmore, 1st Worcester Regt. who was killed during WW1.
 
  Avenals, The Named after Avenals Farm to the north of the road. However, the name is extremely old and there is mention of Nicholas and William Avenal in the 1296 and 1327 Subsidy Rolls for Angmering.
 
  Baker Way Commemorates Leslie Baker (1919-2010). Headmaster of William Older's CharitySchool (now the Library) from 1955-1966. When the school closed in 1965/6, he became head of St Margaret's C of E School in Arundel Road, retiring in 1982. He was also a parish councillor for 31 years from 1961 to 1991 being chairman in 1977. When he retired he was made a freeman of the parish, the first person to receive such an honour. .
     
  Bentley Close Commemorates Pte. Jack H Bentley, 10th Bn., Royal Berkshire Regt. who was killed during WW2.
 
  Bewley Road Commemorates Dr WF Bewley, CBE who was Chairman of Angmering Parish Council between 1961 and 1974. He was also the first director of the Glasshouse Crops Research Institute in Littlehampton.
 
  Butcher Close Named after Walter Butcher of Ecclesden Manor who was a great benefactor of the village after WW1. As an example, he financed the building of the Village Hall in 1926.
 
  Carina Drive Remembers Carina Nurseries a business operated there in the latter half of the 20th Century.
 
  Chantrelles, The Named after a yellow funnel-shaped mushroom of French origin grown on this site by the Darlington Mushroom Company - see below. Actually the mushroom is "Chanterelle". The naming of this small close in Angmering is either a spelling mistake or a deliberate corruption of the name!
 
  Chantryfield Road The road cuts across a field named Upper Chantry, mentioned in the 1679 Manor Survey.
 
  Church Road Arguably the most attractive old road in the village. This seems an obvious name now because it leads from The Lamb Inn directly to St Margaret's Church. However, it has had numerous names in the past including Church Lane, Church Row, Church Walk, and Bakers Row. Many older residents of today's village remember it being called Pooks Hill. The Bakers Row name came about in the 19th Century due to most of the cottages being owned by the Baker family.
 
  Cottrells, The Named after an ancient field on the site which in 1400 was called "Cotereles croft". An 1321 Subsidy Roll return indicates that there was a Richard Coterel living in East Preston. The houses were built "for the working man" between 1912 and 1914 by Edwin Harris, the socialist builder, parish & district councillor, JP, and local historian.
 
  Cow Lane This is the byway that runs north from the A259 to the equestrian bridge near The Spotted Cow. Until the 18th Century it was the main road from Worthing (or more correctly Broadwater and Tarring at that time) to Angmering. The Spotted Cow may have been named after this lane and not the other way around as the pub did not exist until the mid-19th Century.
 
  Dappers Lane The 1679 Manor Survey records that there were two fields on the east side of the lane known as Great and Little Dappers.
 
  Darlington Close Named after the Darlington Mushroom Company who had nurseries on the site during the 20th Century.
 
  Decoy Drive Named after the decoy fishponds to the west. These were constrcted in the 16th Century to lure and catch wild waterfowl.
 
  Dell, Drive (The Dell) The 1679 Manor Survey records that in this area was a field named "Charles Dell". The surname "Charles" is recorded in the parish registers in the late 17th Century. "Dell Fields" are recorded in the 1839 Tithe Survey.
 
  Dover Lane This was originally known as Leather Bottle Lane which referred to the beer house of that name which was there until demolished on the instructions of the Duke of Norfolk in the 1850s. "Dover" is probably a corruption of "dove" which was a word also used for pigeons. In his diary entry dated 25 April 1768, John Tompkins makes reference to pigeons being taken from the pigeonhouse at Michelgrove to The Dover, London and Arundel. Pigeons/Doves were bred and eaten extensively in earlier times.
 
  Ecclesden Lane One of Angmering's newest named roads although it is an ancient lane. This was originally the far eastern end of the High Street until it was cut off by the building of the by-pass. The northern section of the lane was an extension of Cow Lane and was also once known as Miles Lane after the Miles family who occupied Upper Ecclesden Farm in the 18th and 19th Centuries.
 
  Fletcher's Way Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher and Lady Fletcher and Lady Fletcher provided considerable support for the village and St Margaret's Church during the 50 years they resided at Ham Manor. Sir Henry was a Sussex MP for 30 years from 1880.
 
  Furzefield Close Named after the land known as Poling Furzefields immediately to the north of the road. "Furze" is another name for "gorse".
 
  Grooms Close To the north of the village was some woodland called Grooms Copse. A landowner of that name is recorded in Angmering in 1780.
 
  Hammond Close Commemorates James Hammond, Royal Marines Artillery, who was killed during WW1. Members of the Hammond family still live in the village
 
  Hangleton Lane The word "Hangleton" is used much in the Angmering/Ferring area and also for a settlement near Brighton. The origins of the word are unknown but may mean "settlement on a slope".
 
  Henry Fletcher Close Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher and Lady Fletcher and Lady Fletcher provided considerable support for the village and St Margaret's Church during the 50 years they resided at Ham Manor. Sir Henry was a Sussex MP for 30 years from 1880.
 
  Highdown Close Refers to nearby Highdown, the hill immediately to the east of Angmering.
 
  Honey Lane This is the lane leading to the north pedestrian entrance to Bramley Green from the High Street. There is no record of the name until early in the 20th century. Bees were kept at the top of Honey Lane by the Roberts/Green family before 1925.
 
  Horton Place Commemorates Pte George Horton, 13th Royal Sussex, who was killed during WW1. Members of the Horton family still live in the village.
 
  Kinleside Way The Rev. William Kinleside was Rector of St Margaret's Church, Angmering for a remarkable 61 years from 1776 to 1836. His son was William Gratwicke Kinleside Gratwicke, owner of Ham Manor and race-horse owner who he financed the rebuilding of Older's Charity School and the parish church in 1853.
 
  Lansdowne Road / Way / Close The late Joy Luck (from the millers family) stated that her mother named Lansdowne Road after a road near her old home in Southampton. The Luck family was the first to live in the road and Joy Luck's father built their house in conjunction with George Peskett.
 
  Linfield Close Commemorates Pte Joseph Linfield, 1st Royal Sussex Regt., and Pte. William Denn Linfield, 7th Royal Sussex Regt., who were both killed during WW1.
 
  Lloyd Goring Close Named after Captain L Lloyd-Goring, a parish councillor from about 1930 to 1950.
 
  Lucksfield Way During the 19th and 20th Centuries a windmill stood at the north of the Bramley Green Development which was known as Luck's Mill after the family who were the last owners and operators of the Mill. The base of the mill was demolished in 2001.
 
  Mill Road Commemorates Jerusalem Mill which was located in Dell Drive off Station Road but which which was moved in 1848. Station Road was known as Mill Road in the early 19thC and the current Mill Road commemorates the name.
 
  Nursery Road Prior to the development of the present housing, a considerable number of nurseries stood on Bramley Green. Many sprang up in the 1920s growing the renowned Worthing tomato; others grew flowers. By the 1960s, the majority has disappeared as a result of foreign competition.
 
  Old Mill Lane This was the lane (off the High Street) to Luck's Mill (a post mill) that milled flour up to 1942. Its roundhouse base was destroyed late in 2001.
 
  Older Way

Commemorates William Older. In 1682 William Older, a yeoman farmer, bequeathed £100 per annum for teaching and instructing poor children of the parish and annual sums from rents from his property and lands for maintaining a schoolmaster. From this Older's Charity School was built which opened in 1682. It was re-built in 1853 and subsequently closed in 1965. The building was re-opened as the village library in 1974.
 

  Orme Close Named after the Rev. James Bond Orme, Rector of Angmering from 1866 to 1913.
 
  Palmer Road Commemorate two distinct but notable Angmering families. Firstly, the was the Palmer family who were lords of the manors of East and West Angmering and Ecclesden in the 16th & 17th Centuries. Secondly was the Rev. Thomas L Palmer, Rector of the parish from 1923 to 1938. Bearing in mind the road was constructed in the 1930s, it is almost certain that was intended to be named after the Rector.
 
  Parsons Close Commemorates Private Arthur Parsons of the 8th Royal Sussex Regiment who was killed during WW1.
 
  Pound Way At the top of Roundstone Lane on the east side can be found Pound House. In old Angmering, strayed livestock were impounded until their owners paid a fine to reclaim them. On the west (Bramley Green) side of Roundstone Lane there was a large field known as Pound Field. The pound itself occupied a small enclosure on the east side of this field abutting Roundstone Lane.
 
  Roman Avenue Immediately prior to the construction of the Bramley Green Development, archaeologists uncovered the remains of Roman habitation on the site - see our article "Archaeology on Bramley Green". Additionally, Angmering has the remains of a large Roman villa to the west of the parish - see our article "Angmering Roman Villa".
 
  Roundstone Lane The road name is at least two hundred years old. The 'round stone' after which the road was named was a mill-stone which lay on the grass by the crossroads at the southern end of the lane (about where the level crossing is now) but it had disappeared by the early 20th Century. The mill-stone is commemorated on the sign of the public house (built c. 1930) on the A259 at the bottom end of the lane . Legend has it that the mill-stone rolled down the hill from one of the mills on Highdown killing a man on the Worthing Road!
 
  Selden Lane The west side of the lane is in Angmering and the east side is in Patching. It runs north from The Fox Inn. Lane probably gets its name from Selden Farm further up the road which in turn undoubtedly got its name from the Selden family who lived in Patching and Angmering in the 16th & 17th Centuries and perhaps much earlier. The 1296 Subsidy Roll records the name of a "Willmo de Selkedon" living nearby at Ecclesden, "Willo fil' Rici de Selkeden" in the 1332 Roll, and William and John Selden in the 1524 Roll for West Angmering.
 
  Shardeloes Road This is a strange one. Frank Charles Ells was chairman of the parish council between 1955 and 1961. Perhaps he was a modest man and did not want a road named after him, but his house in The Thatchway was named "Shardeloes" and the road name probably originated from that. There is a mansion called Shardeloes near Amersham, Bucks which may have some connection.
 
  Stubbs Hill While not an official road name, this is the name still used by older people who have lived most of their lives in the village to describe the hill that runs up the High Street from The Square. The name is derived from the drapers shop, GW Stubbs, which operated from 1922 to the 1950s where Winchester House is today.
 
  Swillage Lane This has probably nothing to do with pigs. Swillage was a fairly common name long ago for a wet and muddy place. This no doubt was an apt description of our Swillage Lane before it was metalled, where water must have built up at the bottom of the steep hill.
 
  Teulon Court Named after the architect Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812-1873) who was responsible for the substantial re-building of St Margaret's Church, Angmering, in 1852/3.
 
  Thatchway, The Construction of houses in the road started in the late 1930s but WW2 interrupted their completion. A number of the earlier houses were thatched which may be a clue to the road's name.
 
  Water Lane In the 19th Century, a stream ran from Patching, down Water Lane and through the centre of the village, eventually finding its way into the River Arun. This stream was diverted into a culvert beneath the village where it still runs today. Water Lane initially only went as far as Dappers Lane but about 1820 it was extended to Patching to make a through route for the London to Littlehampton stagecoaches.
 
  Weavers Hill / Ring There are many references in Angmering's history to a weaving industry which seems to have centred on Weavers Hill. In the field at the top of the hill on the west side, a row of houses existed up to about 1800; this was called "Shoot Shuttle Row".
 
  Whitfield Close Commemorates L/S Ernest Whitfield, DCM, MM(Fr), of HMS Alert, who was killed during WW1
 
  Wilkinson Close Commemorates Thomas Wilkinson known as "Old Wilkie" who was landlord of the Lamb Inn, Angmering for 57 years. He first became licensee in 1850.
 
  William Older's Road

In 1682 William Older, a yeoman farmer, bequeathed £100 per annum for teaching and instructing poor children of the parish and annual sums from rents from his property and lands for maintaining a schoolmaster. From this Older's Charity School was built which opened in 1682. It was re-built in 1853 and subsequently closed in 1965. The building was re-opened as the village library in 1974.
 

  Windmill Close This could refer to one of two old windmills that used to work nearby. The closest (Jerusalem Mill) was located in Dell Drive off Station Road which was moved in 1848. It is believed its nearby storage barn was what now forms the basis of the Baptist Church in Station Road. The other mill was Luck's Mill (a post mill) that milled flour up to 1942 and which was located at the end of Old Mill Lane off the High Street. Its roundhouse base was destroyed late in 2001. (see also Lucksfield Way above)

NAR-D

Last updated 23 July 2016