New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  21:58:55  Show Profile
I've been told by various sources in the last few weeks that the trustees of the Community Centre are considering imposing additional charges for the use of chairs and tables. Presumably, this is to raise additional funds.

I was a trustee of the CC during its first few months of operation (opened 3 October 2009) and was aware that early bookings were so good that revenue would easily meet its first year target. Since that time, the ACCA has received a grant of £30,000+ and has done exceptionally well in increasing bookings even further. see http://www.angmeringcommunitycentre.org.uk/Activities-timetable.htm This timetable is just regular bookings and excludes any one-offs, parties, etc. For some reason it also excludes Angmering Table Tennis Club which uses the Main Hall every Monday afternoon, so I don't know what other regular bookings have been excluded.

There is considerable anger among hirers who have discovered these proposals that, with all the increased and unplanned revenue raised during Year 1, it is necessary to introduce what amounts to a "stealth tax". Surely, when you hire a village or community hall, you are allowed a chair to sit on without having to pay for it!

Its not even as if the chairs are kept clean. I've never sat down on one without giving it a bit of a brush.

What do others think? Is this a widespread practice? Why is it necessary? Will the Village Hall and church be next in introducing such charges? Does this reflect new Government thinking?

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2010 :  15:34:34  Show Profile
I hope the trustees of the Community Centre are only "considering imposing charges for the use of tables and chairs."

In addition to the revenue raised and grants received as indicated by Neil, we the Angmering Council Tax payers are contributing almost £100,000 to assist with running costs over the first three years.

I am sure after the trustees have "considered" introducing these additional costs, that they will feel they would be taking the generosity of the residents of Angmering to an unacceptable level and should maintain costs at the current status quo.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  18:09:13  Show Profile
Good points Bert - the council tax payers of Angmering have paid enough to the ACCA.

Notwithstanding that, the ACCA's constitution states that the Association will convene at least one consultative Forum a year with the stakeholders, i.e. groups/people/organisations who regularly use the Community Centre. There has not been such a meeting to date so I cannot believe that the ACCA would try and introduce such controversial charges without first consulting the stakeholders.

Incidentally, the ACCA is holding its AGM on 26 July. Revised charges are not on the agenda, but the trustees do not need approval of anyone other than agreement between themselves to increase charges which they can do at any time and not necessarily at an AGM.

More and more people I have spoken to have expressed their disgust at charging for the use of tables and chairs. Perhaps the ACCA has just been "kite flying" to test reactions to the possible introduction of such charges.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000