New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  12:25:37  Show Profile
Now that the opticians has left the village what can we expect the shop space to turn into this time???

Nearest the right answer gets a coconut

Edited by - roosterbri on 12 Oct 2012 12:26:14

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  16:17:04  Show Profile
how about a hair dressers, specifically for bald people!!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2012 :  06:00:51  Show Profile
A suggestion was made to me that maybe an Ann Summers shop. Somehow I do not think the good burghers of Angmering are ready for this type of amusement........or are they????
Go to Top of Page

Paul
Advanced Member

319 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  22:34:05  Show Profile
Considering what Developers are wanting to do to Angmering - AS could be very appropriate!

Be careful what you ask for - you just might get it.
The views expressed in this posting are those of the author and must not be taken as representing any commercial, religious, political or other body.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2012 :  23:15:46  Show Profile
Well let's hope that if it's retail they have the basic business sense to not allow their staff to take customer parking and if it's not retail that they have the courtesy.

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  09:38:41  Show Profile
Having now a good butcher established, who also sells cheeses and fresh vegetables, there is a far better balance to our village shops.

Personally, I would like to see dizzy come back - the boutique charity shop supporting diabetes. They were nice people and did quite well in the village and were sad to leave when Butts wanted the Henry Adams estate agency shop. Their shops in East Preston, Rustington, Littlehampton, and Middleton all appear to be doing well, and they have won a number of local business awards.
Go to Top of Page

Bramleymum

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  21:10:23  Show Profile
I think that making silly comments about where staff park is not neccesary. Once again the village has not supported a business that could have provided an excellent service to our village and this has resulted in it closing down and people losing their jobs!!
Parking in the village is a nightmare for everyone and those who work there have no choice but to park either in the spaces at the front of the shops or to clog up the High Street making it impossible for those that live there to park. I am not sure which is worse!!
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  23:08:30  Show Profile
Any shop/business that fails can only blame itself; not the people who live local to it, or any people at all, they have no responsibilty whatsoever.

Edited by - BFA on 16 Oct 2012 23:09:39
Go to Top of Page

Bramleymum

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  13:19:19  Show Profile

What a ridiculous statement!!

If people are not willing to use the services that are on offer there is little anyone can do!
There are so many people that live in Angmering who say we should support our village businessses but are far too quick to shop at sainsburys, specsavers etc... but then who can blame them when we are all having to tighten our belts!!
Independent businesses do not have the buying power to compete with the retail giants!!
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  14:57:45  Show Profile
I can see the pro's and con's of both points by BFA and Bramleymum.

My view is; the type of business is the important factor here.

For example, the two most recent businesses that have opened in the village are, the one that has just closed, the opticians; and the butchers. I would suggest prospective customers will deal with them very differently, because of their specific business category.

My wife and I both wear contact lenses and have therefore also to have specs. So it is an expensive matter. I go to one in West Worthing and my wife, one in Rustington. We are both very happy with the service we get. Opticians are not the type of business that one will usually change, simply due to a new one opening in the village. A customer will usually stick with an optician in the same way one does a dentist.

I was surprised the opticians opened in the village, when it did. A relationship with an optician is quite a long term issue, and one does not pop into and out of, such a relationship, and that is the issue with such a business.

The butchers however, is a very different market. We used one of the butchers in Rustington and were reasonably happy with it. We thought we should try to support the butcher in Angmering, as we could easily change back if unhappy.

From day one, we have been very pleased with them, and I cannot recall us buying any meat elsewhere since they opened. Very good meat, very pleasant couple and very good prices.

So the dynamics of a business is key.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2012 :  15:17:18  Show Profile
Exactly!

(Hoping that single word does not get called 'silly' or 'ridiculous')
Go to Top of Page

TilerTim

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2012 :  20:58:36  Show Profile
Anything will be good. Local shops for local people!
Go to Top of Page

240felicia

172 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  01:07:41  Show Profile
it would be great if nobody is using that shop if maybe somebody in the know could set it up as a pop-up shop... where local businesses set up in there for a short term stint of a week or 2 at a time to promote their business - am sure there's lots of people in angmering who would be interested...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jul/20/pop-up-shops-empty-high-street
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  08:22:07  Show Profile
Great idea. However, if landlords are only a few weeks away from signing a new permanent lease, they may not want the hassle of short-term occupations.
Go to Top of Page

Tinklebelle
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2012 :  19:52:12  Show Profile
A little bird has told me that an Antiques business is coming there. Should be interesting and save going to Arundel to have a look around them. We used to have a similar shop where the small dentist is situation in the Square.

Tinklebelle
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2012 :  20:13:51  Show Profile
I do have to agree with BFA. Where parking is a problem to allow staff to prevent access for customers is economic suicide. If I can't park fairly close to where I want to go and pretty much free I won't go there.

And Neil I think landlords planning on a long term lease agreement are a bit like football managers thinking that a three year contract will last three years!
Go to Top of Page

BARCODE

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  16:44:50  Show Profile
A drop-in centre for immigrants thus Angmering is seen to be doing it's bit for those less fortunate.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2013 :  13:39:59  Show Profile
So now we know - Vintage on The Green will be opening in The Square where Sight and Sound were previously. Have a look at their website at www.vintageonthegreen.co.uk Looks more interesting than a normal antiques shop.
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  16:03:46  Show Profile
I think I better put a coconut in the post to Tinkerbelle
Go to Top of Page

The Lost Plot

124 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  21:59:38  Show Profile
Oooh, nice, that's a bit different and fits in really well, interesting too :-)
Go to Top of Page

Tinklebelle
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2013 :  23:07:44  Show Profile
Ooooh yes please Roosterbri - I lerve Coconut !

Tinklebelle
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2013 :  16:57:14  Show Profile
OOOpps...sorry Tinklebelle...got the last one in the area and dropped it..had to feed it to the birds..lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000