Police
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  09:51:51  Show Profile
Just curious as to why there were so many police on the roads into and out of the village today?

Does anyone know...or have a good theory!?

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  11:18:40  Show Profile
It was a purge on speeding, seat belts and mobile phone use, offenders were pulled in to the medical centre car park.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  11:35:30  Show Profile
Actually, just seat belts and mobile phones according to the officers I spoke to. See News page item
Go to Top of Page

Nigel

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  15:51:58  Show Profile
I doubt if it was for speeding. The police refuse to enforce the 20mph limit because they can't issue a fixed penalty notice, they have to go to court instead, and that means more cost than its worth. Try telling that to a person that gets hit by a speeding vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

DEGOO
Average Member

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  18:12:08  Show Profile
Can they please do the same thing at the pinch points to stop people trying to 'dodge' through and also at the Sainsburys'/golf course roundabout to stop people from going right in the left hand lane? Both places today, my car was nearly hit and I am a little bit fed up with it! Moan over....
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  18:13:16  Show Profile
from which direction Degoo?
Go to Top of Page

DEGOO
Average Member

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2012 :  08:39:19  Show Profile
At the pinch points I was travelling up Station Road from the village so it was my right of way through them and at the roundabout I was coming from Rustington heading towards the Angmering turning right, it happens all the time and drives me mad. It has however also been discussed many times on here and been in the paper with it being proved that is not how you 'do' roundabouts and yet it still happens. It isn't just lane dodgers either, people seem to have forgotton the basic rules of right hand lane for turning right, inconsiderate and especially with the man undertaking me today, damn right dangerous. I could have done with the police there!
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  12:16:43  Show Profile
I have spoken to people who actually believe that its OK to do that...scarey.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2012 :  15:57:01  Show Profile
Whilst understanding the rule for roundabouts apparently laid down in the Highway Code, use of the words dangerous and scarey only really apply if the individual in the inside lane on the roundabout then pulls over to get into the inside lane of the road running east.

But think about it a bit more. If you've applied the stated rules the moment you are opposite the Virgin Active entrance by definition you should then surely be turning right back over the Windmill Bridge.

Of course, those transgressors who use the outside lane on the roundabout might just be frustrated by those slow and hesitant drivers who require an enormous gap in incoming traffic to proceed.

With so much else to worry about these days, it's all a bit silly.
Go to Top of Page

DEGOO
Average Member

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  12:47:13  Show Profile
Derek, I think you misunderstood, I was joining the A259 to travel East from the RH lane of Mill Lane.
When someone under cuts you by using the LH lane of Mill Lane to turn East also, this creates the dangerous situation where should I not see said person and move to the inside lane travelling east from the roundabout then there will be an accident.

Following your logic, thats means that if i get frustrated by someone going slow when theres double whites in the middle of the road i can still over take?!?!?!
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  13:19:16  Show Profile
I assume you mean you've come over the bride and are on the golf club roundabout turning towards Angmering?

If so the road marking state its 2 lanes all the way round the roundabout as it leads onto 2 lanes?
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2012 :  14:43:41  Show Profile
I do understand the point you are making but as Karl says there are two lanes going into roundabout and two lanes coming out. Danger only arises, as I said, and you have repeated, when drivers immediately then swing into nearside lane on A259 heading east. You might equally not see someone coming from the west on the A259.

Double white lines are another issue. They are usually found on blind bends where to overtake would be stupid I agree.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  11:48:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by angmeringpaul

I have spoken to people who actually believe that its OK to do that...scarey.

The only danger arises when the motorists in the correct lane follow correct procedure and encounter the cars turning right from the wrong lane.

Under the "two lanes in two lanes out "theory" there are two lanes westbound so why not turn left from the right hand lane? Oh yes there is a Highway Code that tells you that you cant do either.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  15:12:44  Show Profile
If you follow the highway code properly, if your in the inside lane approaching the roundabout and turning right towards Angmering, you should, if you follow your lane markings properly, will be in the outside lane of the A259, then you should use your mirrors and manouvre, to come back into the inside lane, the inside lane after the A259 should be for people coming straight across from Littlehampton surely?
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  16:08:30  Show Profile
Wish I could be confident that those who quote the Highway Code follow equally all its other rules and regulations. At the end of the day it's all about common sense which, when you've been driving for 40 odd years without an accident, could be said to have stood you in good stead.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  19:36:05  Show Profile
I am not sure what you are suggesting Karl. If you are heading over the roundabout towards Angmering then you should be in the right hand lane. Right lane-turn right. Left lane-turn left.

As to how long you have driven without an accident Derek that is just a testiment to other drivers ability to avoid your incompetance.
Go to Top of Page

Karl@KCM

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  20:01:43  Show Profile
It's nevr as straight forward as that, what about straight on into the golf club?
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  22:19:51  Show Profile
If you think of a roundabout as a clock face and you, joining it, are at 6 o'clock, then, without arrows painted on the lanes to tell you otherwise, from 6-12 o'clock = left hand lane, 12-6 o'clock, right hand lane.

With what happens all the time at this roundabout, if there were arrows painted on the lanes, the right lane would have an arrow pointing right and the left lane would have an arrow pointing left, straight ahead and right - and I ain't never seen any arrow like that anywhere!

Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  08:01:09  Show Profile
Have you been round the roundabout at Fontwell recently where both entry lanes are marked with arrows signifying right hand turn onto westbound A27? Curiouser and curiouser.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  11:57:50  Show Profile
Like I said

quote:
Originally posted by BFA

without arrows painted on the lanes to tell you otherwise, from 6-12 o'clock = left hand lane, 12-6 o'clock, right hand lane.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  13:09:51  Show Profile
It is that straight forward Karl look at the picture.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338

BFA you won't see arrows marked like that because it would make no sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000