by RW Standing, 2004
This summary, with respect to occupations, is based upon Heads of Households only.
Where possible, Tithe
Numbers from the c1840 tithe map are quoted [T...] to locate the house,
although in many instances the original buildings had been demolished or
rebuilt extensively. The appropriate part of the tithe map can be seen by
clicking on [T...].
The principal residences, that can be found in the 1901 census, include several old houses that had descended in the world. Principal of these was New Place north of the Decoy Ponds, once the grand mansion of the Palmer family but reduced to farm cottages by the 19th century [T182]. To the west, Decoy House still had much of its old function as the residence of a gamekeeper on the Norfolk estate, Robert Brewer [T164].
Other places of interest in the north of the parish were the Fox Inn which is still functioning [T193] with Fanny Arlett the publican, and the Woodmans Arms [T100] although Charles Searle was described as a farm labourer in the census. The answer lies in the 1903 Trade Directory in which Searle was a beer retailer, in other words his house was a beer shop. Previously the shop had been kept by William Thair snr, and in 1901 William jnr was living next door to the shop. To the east of that, George Balchin occupied the farm at Priors Lees in Dover Lane [T115] where some buildings remain although the house is gone. The Directory gives John Mason as the farmer in Angmering Park.
The Farming Interest
At this date the Miles family were extensive farm tenants, with George E Miles at Lower Barpham [T20] and his father George at Upper Barpham [T18H] while Georges younger brother Edwin had the much longer established tenancy of Upper Ecclesden [T300] on the western slopes of Highdown.
In the southern part of the parish John Tompkins jnr. held Old Place Farm, and with it, New Place. His widowed mother was at Old Place [T451] but not then in residence. John jnr. was as yet living at what may have been a new dwelling just to the north of Aberdeen House in Arundel Road [T252] for which there is no present name, or knowledge.
In Rectory Lane, Charles Duke at Church House, had the farm of that name which stretched west across towards Poling and the site of the Roman Villa. South of that was the extensive farm at Ham Manor [T68H] owned by Sir Henry Fletcher, with Herbert Webber his bailiff at Ham Farm or Dairy..
Across the other side of the village Samuel Pyle was the farmer at Avenals [T265], but Ecclesden Manor was no longer a working farm as the residence of George Booker, but with a farm house nearby shortly to be occupied by John Loveys [T309]. John Elliott Heasman had been the farmer occupant at Ecclesden. In a similar manner, Pound House [T339] and the Malt House [T353] had been gentrified, with Henrietta Crunden at the one and James Balls a retired farmer at the other.
Apart from these large estates, there were just two small and ancient farms surviving. The one at Pigeon House in The Street, where Thomas Standing was the present representative of its yeoman family, [T356] and the other at Hangleton, adjoining Hangleton Lane in Ferring, occupied by Alfred Jupp [T522].
Finally, representing the rapidly expanding alternative to arable and livestock, Sextus Clarke at the newly built Winoma in The Street, opposite the Rectory, was a fruit grower or nurseryman. A large area of glasshouses had been constructed nearby.
Milling was one of the trades closely associated with farming, with Lucks mill south of the High Street, named from its latter day occupier Frederick Luck. At that time living at the new houses south of the church [T177P] interestingly he had both wind and steam milling.
Besides those farm houses already mentioned, there were several houses in the village where the quality or retired wealth resided. A group of these were at the corner of Rectory Lane. Elmhurst [T390] and James Smith a retired solicitor. Next to it Watertone House or The Laurels where the butcher George Amoore had retired. Then in Rectory Lane, White Lodge or The Limes and Limes Cottage, with William and Charles Brookman of private means. And at Church Farm [T395] an exotically described Indian Traveller, Percy Naylor. Others preferred to live in the Street, as at the two Kinnoul houses [T421] with John Cutness an erstwhile miller, and Sophia MacGregor a lady of substance, amongst several others nearby.
Closer to the heart of the village in various ways, was Edgar Baker at Conyers, [T363]] of the long established family owning nearby houses in Bakers Row, or Church Road. Whilst in The Square Mary Ragless lived at Anns Cottage [T406] her father having been Master at the village school.
Chief of the clergy in the parish was naturally the Rector, James Orme at Syon or The Rectory, [T422] in the Street. However, Frederick Booty at Roundstone [T544] was not his curate, but that of adjoining East Preston. Also to be mentioned is the Baptist Church in Station Road where the chapel keeper Alfred Robins was a retired minister from London, he was described as the "town missionary" in 1899, which must have raised a few heckles in Angmering..
Angmering boasted two village schools, the old established Olders School [T385] where the master Alfred Child lived in the adjoining School House. He had several female assistant teachers but these do not figure as heads of household in Angmering. In Arundel Road the Roman Catholic school house established in 1870 was then unoccupied.
Well known village inns were the old established Lamb [T380] with the aged Thomas Wilkinson, and Red Lion hosted by Charles Cheesman. These supplemented by a more recently established Spotted Cow [T345] at the Ecclesden end of The Street and Eli Arlett, previously Hugh Lee.
Angmering was a virtual small town, in that it had most of the trades for its needs, and indeed served surrounding villages with its trade vehicles. A miscellany included, house painter and confectioner [T405], hurdle maker, gardener, carpenter, bricklayer, shoe maker, plumber, poulterer [T427], dressmaker, blacksmith, insurance agent, and a building inspector at Gothic House.
Only the chief trades and shops in the village can be mentioned in detail.
Several builders were cashing in on a small boom in development. William Linfield near the Spotted Cow [T347]. Thomas Jarrett at Gothic House, builder, artesian well engineer and undertaker. Across the road in the High Street, at Mont Coline, Edwin Harris was also variously described as a builder, wheelwright and plumber - and historian it might be added. Not least George Boore at Weavers Hill a carpenter and builder.
An increasing number of retail shops were to be found. Herbert Caffyn taking the butchers business at Aberdeen House in Arundel Road [T389]
In the Square two grocers, William Langley of Blaber House, and Frederick Hodges at London House [T408] grocer, draper and spirits - he also owned a shop in East Preston. Next door George Peskett ironmonger and smith. James Terry the butcher, lived at Angmering Cottage [T379] the unusual looking crenellated house next to the Lamb. Finally, in a house south of the church, Walter Cheesman the greengrocer. Amongst them and keeping the peace, was the police constable, Charles Heather at Eachways [T374]
The Street had its complement of shops. Richard Winchester, draper, grocer and sub-postmaster, at Winchester House [T413]. Henry Phillips the saddler in the next house, thereafter named Saddlers [T414]. Lastly, further up the Street, the recently built Somerset House with Henry Wapling baker and confectioner. Harriet Doig the dressmaker at Commerce House [T367] had also earlier been described as a grocer.
station master combined his post with that of chief postmaster for the
Angmering, East Preston and Rustington area, at Station Masters House, in
the figure of Walter Judges, shortly to be taken over by Horace Hayward, with
three post deliveries each day.. At Roundstone the railway gate
house keeper was Stumpy James Cheesman.
Last updated: 25 February 2004