Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Specifically Angmering (Category)
 Angmering General - Forum
 Building Development in Angmering (Part 2)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

no one ever said it was an easy task Seagull, however the perception is that other local Parishes Councils have been more supportive and proactive when dealing with the whole planning process from the very beginning as evidenced by the lack of dialogue ours have had with SAV, the rather lame reasons for not attending the latest meeting at the rugby club. I agree that they have little clout when dealing with planning matters and that ADC & WSCC are the decision makers however, this does not prevent APC in being more vociferous.. yes it is a difficult job and sure they get some bashing however, when they put themselves forward to represent the Parish they must do so knowing that some rather difficult and important issues are going to have to be dealt with , it's not just about, hanging baskets, decorative street lights, dog bins and skateboard parks. Perception is the key word here, lots of residents feel that our Parish Councillors have sat on the fence and not fought our corner enough..perhaps I am incorrect in my views, if I am then I apologise unreservedly to all who sit on the Council.

quote:
Originally posted by seagull

It is all very well, everyone bashing the Parish Councillors, but they have very little clout when it comes
to planning matters. The Parish Council must have spent a considerable time and effort opposing the Barratts
and VHB planning applications. If you had read page after page of inaccuracies and objections as I did,
together with SAV's objections, you would have thought that Arun Councillors may have taken note. I attended
the meeting when planning permission was granted and you would have thought that the Arun planners were
actually working for the builders instead of just giving their 'expert' opinions. The real villains, of
course, in this sorry episode of Angmering's life, are the Arun Councillors, who don't give a damn about
our village. They are only interested in their grand infrastructure plans and will plonk houses wherever
they can to get their hands on the Section 106 money that the builders have to pay. This money is supposed
to be spent on the area where the development is but you can bet your life that Arun will spend as little
as they can in Angmering! Next May you have your chance to vote out these useless Arun councillors and you
also have the chance to put yourselves up for election, not only as a District Councillor but also as
Parish Councillor. You will then be able to see how easy it is to sort it all out instead of moaning!

Go to Top of Page

bluepowders

2 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  09:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few comments here about a new or expanded primary school for the southern part of the village. Some observations: St Margaret's class sizes are too large. It is a 2 1/2 from entry school and as has already been expressed here some class sizes are at 36/7. It would be better either a 2 or 3 form entry. St Wilfred's needs to expand if it is to survive the new funding regime for schools. St Wilfred's would benefit from having the 1/2 form entry reallocated for St Margaret’s. This would also enable the kids to be taught in a more appropriate class size at St Margaret’s. I imagine the headteacher of St Margaret’s may try to resist this as pupil numbers are linked to his retirement funds _ I care more about the teachers and pupils and the safeguarding of our current schools. The third primary school with existing access in Bramley Green could be an additional e.g. non faith based school run by Angmering School. This would enable good use of shared resource both in teaching and estate. It would also enable the school numbers to pick up gradually. An alternative to this is the relocation of St Wilfred's to the Bramley Green site. This would safeguard St Wilfred's and enable a school to be in the southern part of the village - there would be no need to change their admissions policy as it is already flexible enough to take any applicant. Given ADC have managed to secure over and above funds that would normally be raised by 600 homes for the new school - I would imagine that now is the time to influence WSCC / ADC and the current three headteachers on the type of school that could be built in Bramley Green.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  12:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forums, bluepowders. Regarding your posting, I have received the following email from the headteacher at St Margaret's Primary School:
quote:
I have just read on the forum a comment about school development, where reference is made to me by position - suggesting that I might resist a down sizing at St Margaret's because it would affect my retirement fund. I take exception to this - I would not want people to think that after 20 years in post I am retiiring - I am not! and secondly if the school were reduced significantly in size the group size of the school can only change when a new Head is appointed, so the pension of a Headteacher and other school leaders is totally protected if rolls fall. Also we are not a 2 1/2 form entry school - that would have a published admission number of 75, whereas ours is 70. Our average class size over the past 10 years has never been above 31 and remains at that level today with 501 pupils on roll.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  12:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given that the the other inference in bluepowder's posting is the difference in admissions policy between St Margaret's and St Wilfrid's, it would be useful if the Headmaster of St Margaret's could clarify the position as he has on class size.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  14:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sense that "bluepowders" posting is a little bit of mischief making.
St Wilfrid's (not St Wilfred's)does not need to expand. The school is in part Church funded and so gradual expansion may happen but relocation will not.
The admissions policy at the school as I understand it is not "flexible" priority is given to the children of Catholic families.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  17:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The headteacher at St Margaret's has now made the following comments in respect of remarks made about the school's admittance policy:
quote:
In response to a further question re. Admissions Policy of St Margaret's School. St Margaret's is the designated Primary School for all children living within the ecclesiastical Parish of Angmering. Apart from 'Children Looked After', the school admits all children living in Angmering before any child living outside the Parish regardless of any faith criteria or whether there are siblings in the school. For the past 15 years every child living in Angmering seeking a place in the Reception Class for the September have been given a place. For the September 2014 Reception intake there were insufficient children living in Angmering to fill the places in both of the Primary Schools, so subsequently St Margaret's have taken children from other geographical areas. This has been common practice for a number of years with approximately a quarter of the children attending St Margaret's Primary School living beyond the Angmering Parish boundaries. St Margaret's is a very inclusive school and takes all comers.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  20:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much misunderstanding about school admissions policy so helpful to have a clear statement on the reality of the situation. Good to see speedy response. APC take note!
Go to Top of Page

Questor
Average Member

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  19:28:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with DD. With a 3 year old granddaughter moving into the Parish at the end of this month and another 1 year old granddaughter with her, My wife and I and their parents found the recent posts from the St. Margaret's Head extremely helpful. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

bluepowders

2 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  13:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see some debate and clarifications. It would be also be good to hear from the Governors or Headteachers of Angmering and St Wilfred’s – not least in terms of securing St Wilfred’s future and the potential for Angmering High as a through school. I stand corrected on St Margaret’s being 2 1/3 rather than 2 ½ and am reassured that there will be no personal benefit in restricting options for primary provision. My post was intended to stir some debate on whether or not a third primary school is actually necessary and what form if any it could take. This is important because of the decade old myth surrounding the Bramley Green school provision and moreover as the funding secured for the third / provision school is at the expense of contributions to social housing.
Go to Top of Page

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  15:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I dont think it was a myth but happily to be corrected on that bit. If there is not going to be(rubbish grammar I know,should have spent more time at school!) any provision for additional schooling then perhaps funds could be diverted to build a walking bridge from the roundstone development/bramley green side of town to the schools on the other side of town - will have two benefits - keep traffic away from the centre of town and adjoining roads during school hours and encourage kids to walk the short distance to school. Has anyone else noticed that during the school holidays the surrounding roads, whilst still used as cut throughs, have stopped resembling death race 2000 during the school runs.

ps.. the bridge could go via the new skateboard park, so those that cycled could take a detour.
quote:
Originally posted by bluepowders

Good to see some debate and clarifications. It would be also be good to hear from the Governors or Headteachers of Angmering and St Wilfred’s – not least in terms of securing St Wilfred’s future and the potential for Angmering High as a through school. I stand corrected on St Margaret’s being 2 1/3 rather than 2 ½ and am reassured that there will be no personal benefit in restricting options for primary provision. My post was intended to stir some debate on whether or not a third primary school is actually necessary and what form if any it could take. This is important because of the decade old myth surrounding the Bramley Green school provision and moreover as the funding secured for the third / provision school is at the expense of contributions to social housing.

Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  16:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again "bluepowders" its St Wilfrid's and there is only one realistic prospect for both of the existing primary schools and that is for them both to expand as population increases.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2014 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the problems is that the geographic centre of Angmering has moved to the east of the village centre. Expanding St Margaret's or St Wilfrid's should therefore not be an option. The site south-east of The Angmering School for a new primary school is still the best scenario.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2014 :  13:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would partially agree with you Neil except that I think the two existing schools will expand and the new school will be built. If located as discussed close to the A259 then it will take children from East Preston, Angmering, Rustington as well as Bramley Green and the new developement/s.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2014 :  10:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In their latest Newsletter SAV says "it is APC who must take the lead and be accountable for responding to ADC’s Local Plan and any future expansion of Angmering." Heaven help us!
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  16:02:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barratts have posted yet another letter through doors, saying they are going to start 'site setup works' shortly, so who knows what they have been doing up to now, and they will be delighted to see anybody interested in meeting them, at the Rugby Club between 5pm and 7.30pm on 2nd October. Interesting then, that they have still not met all the planning conditions, and that the submissions they have made to meet these conditions have not yet been approved by Arun. As expected Barratts are being totally careless about anybody or anything in the way of their developments. If you want to see their latest submissions, these are under a new planning reference number, just to cause confusion - A/137/14/DOC.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  16:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon, hardcore for the already excavated road was being brought on site!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Wilson Homes now has a website for Swanbourne Park in Roundstone Lane. The site proclaims:
quote:
Just 2 miles away from the Sussex coastline, close to the sandy beaches of Littlehampton and on the doorstep of the South Downs National Park, Angmering is the ideal location for those that enjoy the beauty of the Outdoors. For those that are looking for a quaint village location, you can enjoy the local tea shop, frequent the local bar and restaurants or even play cricket on the village green.
Now that must be not only the smallest cricket pitch in the country but also the strangest, having triangular boundaries!

Just more evidence that these development companies do not have a clue about the locations where they dump their unwanted sites!

See: http://www.dwh.co.uk/new-homes/west-sussex/H581901-Swanbourne-Park/?WT.mc_id=PPC__Google__National&WT.srch=1&srchpterm=+Swanbourne++Park&srchengine=google&srchmatch=Broad&gsrc=S

The very first photo in their slideshow shows, not a you would think a photo of Angmering, but a photo of the sand dunes on the west side of Littlehampton.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  17:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So who is going to bother to turn up to the Rugby Club to hear another load of garbage spouting from their mouths, when they do not even know basic facts about where they are building. What comes out of their mouths is even worse than that delivered by politicians.
Go to Top of Page

Pansy

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  17:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the many years I have lived in Angmering I have never once seen a cricket match on our very small green in the centre of the village! The description of our "quaint village" will be a misnomer once the developers have finished their rape of the area.
The sales bumpf needs to be rewritten and as Neil rightly points out the sandy beach is the other side of busy Littlehampton! I doubt that the copywriter ever set foot in Angmering. Pity about the lack of cricket as my husband would enjoy an afternoon sitting in a deck chair on the village green to watch a match!!!
Go to Top of Page

hairspray

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  17:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am sick to death of people on here talking of the unwanted from South London and Croydon ! I was born and bought up in South London and live here in a private house on Bramley Green which I own . If I could afford to go back I would to get away from people who haven't a clue what most of the residents in South London are like . My children were all born in Croydon , and are all very successful . It is rude and ignorant to make these comments !!!
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  19:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calm down Hairspray - who is kicking the people from Croydon? I can't see any comments about them in the above posts - I was born and brought up there, and got out of an overcrowded urban rat race to a calmer, quieter Sussex village, until developers decided to rape it. This is about the developers, not people from Croydon, Streatham, Thornton Heath, or anywhere else like that.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2014 :  19:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think hairspray may be referring to a post made by Crazypaving nearly 10 months' ago (on 2 December 2013) - see Page 1 of this topic. Not sure what prompted this outburst after all this time.

And, for the record, I worked in Croydon for 25 years.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  08:19:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt we shall be hearing a robust condemnation of this further assault on our community from both the Parish Council and our elected ADC Councillor. Dream on!

Incidentally, how is it possible for Councillor Cooper to represent the interests of Angmering whilst sitting as Vice Chair of the very council - ADC, who are perpetrating this ruination of the village?
Go to Top of Page

Bluebell
Average Member

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2014 :  21:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.arun.gov.uk/main.cfm?type=DEVELOPMENTCONTROL
The link to the PDF of their decision. Go to page 157 and read and weep, they are still talking about the master plan and garden cities.
Go to Top of Page

lizh
Average Member

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  13:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can someone remind me where the Barrat's and DW houses are? Is the DW the VHB nursery and the Barrett in between the rugby club and cow?
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  19:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lizh

can someone remind me where the Barrat's and DW houses are? Is the DW the VHB nursery and the Barrett in between the rugby club and cow?

Correct. The new development is contained in the space between the Rugby Club and Pound House, Pound Place, Tall Trees and Manor Nursery.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2014 :  20:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VHB Nursery (or Vitacress as it is now called) is south of the Rugby Club.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  19:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On 26 September, two days after the Planning Application for the development of Manor Nursery had been approved by ADC, I reported on the AVL News page:
quote:
This afternoon (Friday 26th), the nursery was still displaying at its entrance an old notice which reads: "We're NOT closing ...... Manor Nursery is NOT on the development plans".
Today, I noticed that the notice has now been taken down and replaced by one reading:
quote:
VERY
IMPORTANT
NOTICE
WE ARE NOT CLOSING.
WE WILL WE TRADING
AS NORMAL FOR
QUITE A FEW MORE
YEARS !!
We have not sold.
Planning permission has
been given to a
third party not us !

Go to Top of Page

seagull
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  20:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil, I spoke to a senior member of staff a few weeks ago and was told exactly that. They haven't sold up and a developer put in the application, as they are entitled to do, even though they don't own the site!
It was another disgraceful decision by Ricky Bower and his Tory colleagues to grant planning permission on a site that has very poor access to say the least. However, they don't care about that or Angmering residents,
they just want to get their hands on as much Section 106 money to fund their pet projects. You would have thought that with Cllr Cooper as Vice Chair and Dudley Wensley as a Cabinet member that Angmering would have some clout on Arun Council! Useless. I can't wait till next May when we have the opportunity, via the ballot box, to get rid of these clowns. We can then vote for some decent councillors who will represent US.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  20:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with you, seagull. However, are the owners completely blameless? Did they not sign an "Option to Buy" agreement a few years'ago with a developer that originally gave rise to all the speculation about the fate of the nursery? The terms of that agreement, if signed, may allow the owners to own the site and carry on their business for years.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2014 :  21:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Roban Garden Center Ltd would like to chip in and put us all out of our misery and let us know their position with regard to the approval by ADC of the development which incidentally remains 'undecided' on the ADC website.
Go to Top of Page

Robinf

105 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2014 :  16:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was interested to note on this forum that Barratt’s David Wilson Homes (BDW) have launched their website to promote the new development they are constructing in Roundstone Lane named Swanbourne Park. I just got around to looking at it.

I was immediately presented with scenes of the village including what could be construed as the sandy dunes of Angmering! But as we all know there are no sand dunes in Angmering, these are located west of Littlehampton. They might as well have taken some photo stock material and put pics of Borocay Island beaches. To add insult to injury they show a picture of a links golf course, Littlehampton Golf Club, also west of Littlehampton Why not one of Ham Manor or Rustington courses which they mention in their blurb? Potential buyers could be misled that these attractions are a short walk from the village!!

A magnificently crafted piece of marketing pros, waxing lyrical about the undoubted many benefits and attractions that Angmering has to offer those buying BDW homes and also highlighting to the many out commuters who will be buying these homes, the excellent road and rail links to Chichester, Portsmouth, Worthing, Gatwick et.al., schools, and, errrr, that’s it.

What they conveniently fail to mention is that to access these links, particularly road links, their buyers will have to deal with Roundstone, Weavers Hill, The High Street and the A259. They also fail to mention the infrastructure deficits that already exist in and around the village and the fact that their development will only increase the burden on these already creaking systems. But never let the truth get in the way of a good story. Anyone want to take this abuse to the Advertising Standards Agency?
Go to Top of Page

Chuckle Brother
Average Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2014 :  20:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

The problem we face in Arun District is one of economic stagnation. The main reason for this is the poor infrastructure generally and in particular the lack of an Arundel Bypass. A bypass at Arundel would help to facilitate the regeneration of both Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. Please take the time to express your support to the government.

http://objectionstoarunslocalplan.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/arundel-bypass-act-now-or-lose-the-argument/

Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2014 :  08:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is true but the main problem is ineffective, unimaginative, time serving representation both at District and Parish levels.
Go to Top of Page

westsussexbluenose
Average Member

43 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  13:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robinf

Perhaps Roban Garden Center Ltd would like to chip in and put us all out of our misery and let us know their position with regard to the approval by ADC of the development which incidentally remains 'undecided' on the ADC website.

This is a no brainer, always has been since the date Manor Nurseries put up a sign saying that "we are not selling" ! - following that their stock and staff dwindled to corner shop standards - my garden shed carried more useful stock then they have in the previous 18 months and that's 6ft by 4ft in size. Like the sequel, Bramley Green 2, it was a done deal.. Bramley Green 3D is coming to Angmering soon.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  19:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently on Manor's facebook page, they are staying open only to after Christmas - if this is the case, and their current stock, what trade are they expecting to generate over Christmas?
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  21:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't find where it says that on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Manor-Nursery-Angmering/43372622415?sk=timeline
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  09:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry - maybe I am wrong - working on hearsay -
Go to Top of Page

seagull
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  15:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Manor Nursery in fact, say the have ordered Roses, Trees and fruit for next year and are not closing. Use it
or lose it, I say. Much friendlier and nicer than the big boys!
Go to Top of Page

NickR60
Average Member

46 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2014 :  19:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume the developers are responsible for cleaning the roads? Roundstone Lane exiting the rugby club has been covered in mud and stones for the last few days. Also been an increase in noise, I feel sorry for those over looking the site.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000