New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  10:57:22  Show Profile
I see that there is a notice in the PC's office window advertising the vacancy for a new councillor to replace Cllr John Robbins who recently resigned. The notice describes the process for filling the position. I think this says that there would be a by-election if a number of candidates applied for the position, but if there is only one, it would be filled by co-option. I'm sure the PC has followed the correct procedure in advertising this vacancy.

However, since the new council was formed at the AGM in May, there have been two other resignations (Councillors Mark Edwards and David Kimmer). These vacancies were not advertised and currently there are actually 3 vacant positions for councillors on the PC.

Perhaps someone on the PC could explain the situation of how it is intended to fill all three vacancies. I know little of parish council procedures and am genuinely confused how such positions are legally filled.

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  14:00:06  Show Profile
Aha Neil - this has got to be a first, I can prove you wrong!!!![8~2][:u]

The two other vacancies, I can assure you were both advertised in exactly the same way as the current one.

However, as you know we are without a Clerk for the moment, so we are checking with the experts to ensure we follow the exact procedure that we should legally.

Hence the delay in other action on this matter.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  16:36:03  Show Profile
It appears that the current system of co-opting new members onto Angmering Parish Council is not particularly succesful.

Both David Kimmer and John Robbins only joined very recently, and both have resigned already.

Perhaps more thought is required by the PC and potential applicants in this process. It does not help the village when there is such a turnover of individuals on the Parish Council.

This must be disruptive to the PC as a whole and the committees on which they serve.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  18:40:22  Show Profile
Apologies to the PC. I must have missed the advertisments for the other two vacancies. I'm not sure they were placed in the same place as the current one (i.e. on the window).

However, I'm no clearer as to the process. There are 3 vacancies and I understand there are more people than this interested in becoming a councillor. Can you explain the process in these circumstances, Patty?
Go to Top of Page

skippy2107
Average Member

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  18:58:01  Show Profile
Perhaps, rather than looking for faults with recent applicants, the PC should take a look at themselves and their procedures. Perhaps the frustrations the recently resigned councillors have faced could be avoided by a bit of a re-vamp of the ways of the PC.... just a thought...
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  19:09:06  Show Profile
HI Neil
The advertisements were placed in the notice board opposite the window with the current one in.
At the moment, there certainly appears to be more applicants that we have vacancies, which is a very good sign, but also a bit of a first.
We need to be sure we are following procedures correctly, that is why we are waiting for confirmation from the experts.
Obviously if we did this stage wrongly, it would affect all committee and FC decisions and so we need to be very sure.
As soon as we know I dare say we can advise, so that everyone is aware.

The last two Councillors resigned purely through overload of their own commitments.

We all suffer frustration at the rules and regs of the Council, the time delays, etc etc. but all is governed by rules, otherwise known as standing orders. Dont neccessarily agree with them all, but they are there for good reasons and so we have to put up with them.

any comments and views listed above are those of myself personally and not as a Parish Councillor, and in no way reflect opinions of the Parish Council or any other professional bodies
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  19:15:38  Show Profile

"The last two Councillors resigned purely through overload of their own commitments."

Did they not know that when they joined only a few weeks ago?
Go to Top of Page

patty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
738 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  19:27:52  Show Profile
In short Bert apparently NO.

Mr Kimmer's business went ballistic - which in these times, one must be very grateful for, and he felt he could not devote the time necessary to the Council

Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  20:59:15  Show Profile
Thanks Patty for advising current situation.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  09:40:13  Show Profile
The PC has a number of noticeboards around the parish, most notably the one outside the Co-op. The one that is the least noticeable to the public is the one tucked away at the entrance to the PC office which normally has little other than agendas for future meetings.

I'm not sure why the PC put the previous two vacancy notices on that obscure board only. In fact, why are these legally required notices only posted in the Parish Council Office only. The PC post other notices (such as the monthly Meet your Councillors ones) on their boards around the parish but do not post copies of the more important legally required councillor vacancy notices on these boards. Perhaps the PC could explain!

While on the subject of communications, how do people without computers or access to the internet know what decisions are made by the PC? For many years the PC posted copies of their meeting minutes to the noticeboard in the Library. For some reason this stopped nearly a year ago. Can someone at the PC explain why?
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  21:10:48  Show Profile
I do not know if the four applicants as per the agenda for last weeks meeting, were in fact co-opted onto the PC, but I understand two more have resigned this week!!
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2009 :  23:36:19  Show Profile
It was announced at the last PC meeting that Cllr Sue Smith had resigned. Four new names were put forward for co-option at the next PC meeting in September. At the PC meeting I raised the matter that Cllr Storer's resignation some weeks' ago had not been mentioned and that his position had not been advertised. The Chairman told the meeting that I was wrong about the advertisment.

Since that time I have received an apology from the PC office but not from the Chairman. As a result of the failure to advertise the position, the office has told me that the PC will now only be in the position of being able to co-opt three councillors until the next Parish Council meeting. I do not know which of the applicants will be dropped.

I'm not aware of a second resignation this week. If there has been one, no doubt the PC will post it on their News Desk.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  07:51:12  Show Profile
Perhaps I should add that I went into the PC office on Tuesday asking to see the advert and was told that the vacancy had definitely been posted but that they could not locate it at that time. The office's later apology was for that and not the denial from the Chairman on the previous evening.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2009 :  17:53:53  Show Profile
The APC has just published their minutes of the meeting last Monday (10 August) - see AVL News page.

At Public Question Time, I stated that no mention had been made in the Chairman's report of the resignation of Councillor Storer, who had resigned after the previous APC meeting. I pointed out that this should be recorded in the minutes otherwise there would be no continuity in the parish records of councillors' comings and goings. I note that this point was not included in the minutes.

What these latest minutes do record in response to another query of mine is:
quote:
the Chairman stated that notice of casual vacancies was posted at the Parish Council Office and consideration would be given to advertising on Parish Council notice boards.
So what has happened to the very first notice after that meeting advertising
the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Cllr Storer - well it has again been hidden away on the board outside the office that few people can see and it has not been posted to the APC noticeboards around the village.

Just what is our Parish Council trying to hide? Are they totally insensitive? Or is it just laziness?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000