New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mr Growser
Average Member

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  12:55:16  Show Profile
Always check your bill before leaving Asda Ferring.
I did recently and found I was charged twice for bottle of vodka and for another item not purchased.Customer services refunded overpayment,apologised and said Checkout lady must have made a mistake.
Politely asked them to get someone in charge to phone me and explain why ,as if I had walked out without paying they would have been down on me like " A ton of bricks. " .
To date not a word from them so my trust in them as now zero.
All in all no big deal but a salutary warning to check very carefully when shopping there in future.
One answer was that checkout must have scanned removed security tag and scanned again probably by mistake.

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  08:45:04  Show Profile
I haven't had a problem at ASDA but Sainsburys is wrong more often than not. Watch if you buy multibuys or reduced items especially.
Go to Top of Page

charlie
Average Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  10:11:48  Show Profile
I always check my bills.but if it is with Sainsburys.and I ring they always refund with no problem. .
Go to Top of Page

newbird
Average Member

37 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2013 :  14:43:28  Show Profile
I was over charged at Tesco on Monday when a multi buy wasnt deducted. They give you double the amount back if its their mistake. I bought 3 packs of meat for £10 and they payed me £13 for the privilege :0)
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  09:43:54  Show Profile
Thats interesting. I suppose Tesco can do that because its so rare. If Sainsbury's refunded double when they overcharge they would be out of business pretty quick.
Go to Top of Page

Bert
Advanced Member

484 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  12:21:42  Show Profile
All very strange. We've been going to Sainsbury's for the 8+ years we've lived here. I do check our receipt, to make sure offers etc are the correct price. I've only noticed one "error" and when I pointed it out to them, the error was mine.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  14:31:38  Show Profile
Bert - you have been very lucky, we have been here over 10 years, and have given up with Sainsbury's - we were at their customer services almost every week, with a wrong bill - often many pounds for either duplicate or 'extra' items. We have also found their pricing to be high. We do not particularly like using Asda/Walmart, but their pricing seems to be the best, better than Tesco's, who we used after giving up on Sainsbury's. We tried Morrisons this week to see what they were like - not impressed - crowded aisles, and the total bill was way higher than Asda.
Go to Top of Page

ibel

11 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2013 :  16:12:33  Show Profile
I was in Sainsburys last year, when I was charged 3 times for the same piece of cheese, I questioned it, and it was corrected, but the supervisor's remark was 'it was only £10', to me £10 is £10!! I always check my receipts now.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  19:12:12  Show Profile
Why anyone would want to darken the doors of a supermarket when you can have groceries delivered escapes me.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  19:52:15  Show Profile
'cos the only time we tried home delivery the quality was rubbish - at least in store you can select decent fruit and veg, and not get the second grade junk, you see the pickers putting into home delivery customers boxes!!
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2013 :  22:12:28  Show Profile
You're using the wrong 'on line' supplier. Ocado is excellent. Never has a quality issue in the 2 years we've been using them.

Also, think of the reduction in traffic congestion on the A259 that everyone moans about.

Go to Top of Page

HanceR

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2013 :  21:19:04  Show Profile
Well said Derek if only more people followed your example.

Richard Hance
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  12:22:35  Show Profile
I may follow Dereks example if it made any sense! Whilst I may not be stuck behind his car I am just as likely to be stuck behind the Ocado delivery van (unless they don't use the A259?).
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  16:42:10  Show Profile
You miss the point. If only you, and no-one else, also shopped on-line that immediately means two less cars on the A259. For every additional person, one less car. As the Meerkats would say - Simples!
Go to Top of Page

lindylou
Average Member

49 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2013 :  23:36:52  Show Profile
Ah yes, but a lot more lorries !! and if the majority did shop on-line those lorries would ultimately be much bigger trying to negotiate the village streets and having to double park due to the roads being blocked by all the cars (not being parked in garages or drives) and those of parents dropping off kids at school === not so 'simples'
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  05:58:58  Show Profile
Please yourselves.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  12:08:13  Show Profile
More lorries travelling much further than my 400metres into ASDA on my way past. Until Ocado parachute it in they are adding to the A259 conjestion...even Waitrose customers won't stomach that.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2013 :  16:12:40  Show Profile
Actually, Ocado are different to supermarkets. They don't send large lorries to branches where on-line goods are then 'picked' in-store. That would clearly add to congestion. Vans are sent out to customers from large retail distribution points. It's a better and more efficient model.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2013 :  22:29:33  Show Profile
Thanks for that Derek. I am familiar with the Ocado business model(and I admit that it is quite good).
As far as road conjestion goes it is not so good. Your order is picked in Hatfield in Herforshire and transported to Southampton. No problem there all the other supermarkets get their customers goods to their stores from centrallised warehouses.
Assuming that your house is the furthest from Southampton (unlikely) the delivery van has a 100 mile roundtrip.
If the van is delivering 20 customers (very unlikely) ..you don't need me to do the math.
My usual shopping pattern means that my shopping is contributing to conjestion for less than 1/2 mile.
Even if I were to do a dedicated shopping trip (which I would never do) my car would do 2 miles. This is less than half the mileage/time/conjestion of the delivery van.
The conjestion argument is only really valid when used to the customers using the coaches collecting them and taking them to and from the stores.
Its a bit like the disposable nappy/terry nappy landfill argument....or the carbon footprint of locally produced green house fruit against foreign grown flown in produce.
Things are not always quite as simple as they seem.
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  07:37:09  Show Profile
I'm not the one constantly complaining about congestion on the A259,as many do (perhaps not yourself).

As usual, on these Forums, what started off as a simple comment about the comparison between on-line and physical supermarket shopping has gone off track.

Anyway, if you and many others like the joyous experience of visiting the supermarket who am I to argue? I can think of other things to do with my time.
Go to Top of Page

angmeringpaul

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  20:25:43  Show Profile
I don't have any problem with internet shopping I have tried it myself with most of the companies that do it.... usually ending up going out by car afterwards to get the stuff they failed to bring (adding to congestion).

The original post was about overcharging at supermarkets (ASDA) not the merit (or otherwise) of internet shopping.

I hate shopping as much as the next man and am more than happy for anyone wanting to use this delivery service to do so...but don't try to claim it does anything at all to alleviate conjestion as it does not.
Go to Top of Page

BFA
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2013 :  23:26:49  Show Profile
You can get overcharged on line too
Go to Top of Page

derekdainton
deleted

579 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2013 :  15:31:38  Show Profile
If you say so, AngmeringPaul, then it must be right. I am full of remorse for having the temerity to express a different point of view.

At least, having confessed, I will be able to sleep more soundly tonight!
Go to Top of Page

roosterbri
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2013 :  05:33:05  Show Profile
Oh dear!!!! Sounds like handbags at dawn...LMAO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: