Angmering Development and Business development
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patrick

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  11:54:48  Show Profile

As a campaigner against the Courtwick development last year which was for 600 houses in the Wick area of Littlehampton, I would like to add some thoughts. I would welcome any feedback:

Any development of housing needs the availability of jobs either locally or within a reasonable commuting distance, unless its for retired people. Arun D.C say in their local plan that they will provide business opportunities, but they can only provide the planning consent for business premises, they cannot make them move here.

I would suggest that the geography of this area does not lend itself to business development. Most businesses need easy access to their customers and the ability to ship products to customers readily. This is being hindered here by the poor transport infrastructure. This is why Gatwick and the M4 corridor are such a good areas for work.

With the Downs in the way to the north and the sea to the South most transport links have to be squeezed within a narrow East/West corridor. Consequently in my view businesses will not be attracted to the area, and in the meantime people will have to continue to travel to where the work is e.g . Brighton, Crawley, Gatwick.

With the existence of the South Downs National Park it is unlikely that road improvements will take place to the North. To the East and West as everyone knows there are great bottlenecks on the roads which may take years to sort out. The railway also has its own bottleneck of only two tracks in places and an improvement of this would need a massive investment.

This East/West corridor will continue to give a squeezing effect if development of housing continues with an increase in population. There will be more traffic and even less land to make improvements to the transport infrastructure.

It seems that Arun D.C are not concerned with roads and rail, they just allow houses to be built and hope that WSCC will sort the roads out.

The time to stop development is now, before this situation gets any worse.

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  12:08:50  Show Profile
Welcome to the Angmering Forums, Patrick. I'm sure that a great many people in Angmering will agree with your views. However, they need to make these views known to ADC before 10 September.

I hope Forum members will provide you with further feedback.
Go to Top of Page

luckyduck

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  12:15:18  Show Profile
Maybe attendance at the next Parish Planning Committee on Tuesday 28th at the Community Centre, 7:30 where I gather the draft plan is on the agenda, might show the parish council our feelings, and then we can also hit the district council with comments, although the draft plan has so many errors, contradictions and ommissions, it may need a total re-write
Go to Top of Page

Patrick

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  16:23:54  Show Profile
Thanks Neil, I intended this to be posted in the Building Development in Angmering forum, but it ended up here. I will post it to the correct place now. By the way although I live in Rustington I am still very concerned about open countryside being swallowed up by developers.
Go to Top of Page

neil
Forum Owner / Moderator

United Kingdom
2623 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  16:57:17  Show Profile
This topic has now been closed and locked. Further comments should be posted on the sticky topic "Building Development in Angmering".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Angmering Forums © Neil Rogers-Davis, 2006 - present Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000